All aboard...

Darwin Travel Blog

There he is!
So after a humid night in Darwin, it was time to finally meet the Dawn Princess. I shall refer to this ship in the masculine form, as I find it strange that people refer to ships in the feminine form.

My first thought was: hmm, he isn't THAT big...however, it must have been an optical illusion, as his “contents” is out of proportion to the external dimensions:

14 floors, an enormous atrium, restaurants all over the place, a spa, a gym, swimming pools, an amphitheatre, an outdoor running track, an outdoor movie theatre, a helicopter landing pad, a runway to land a medium sized boeing....ok, the last one is a lie, but you get the picture.

My second thought was...”oh sh*t, here comes trouble”.
A passenger (and potentially soon to be patient) climbed into the lift with me. She was overweight, with swollen ankles and a thoracotomy (open chest surgery) scar. She was accompanied by other elderly and some short of breath passengers. If I was a businessman, I would be seeing dollar signs in my head. Instead, I felt my own heart sink and hoped they would disembark soon.

Passenger decks are from level 5 and upwards. Dip below this level and you will discover an underground network of passages, busy crew and all sorts of equipment. This is equivalent to the backstage area of a theatre; except, there are no famous artists to meet.

The medical centre is small, but impressive and well equipped. In addition to the 2 consulting rooms for the doctors, there is an isolation ward, a treatment room, a short stay ward and an intensive care unit, where I presume thoracotomy lady will soon be visiting.
Medics in Cabin

My official duties only commence in a few days, as I am currently in a “hand-over” or induction period. The staff is very friendly, particularly the medical tream. Both doctors are South-African, as well as 2 of the 3 sisters, which is lank kiff.

The ship has a strict hierachy, not unlike the army. As a doctor, one is automatically an officer of rank, and almost the highest one. 3 stripes for the doctor and 3,5 stripes for the senior doc. Only the captain and one or two others have 4 stripes. Being an officer grants access to most passenger areas and facilties, whereas the crew or non-officers have to stay below level 5 in the termite areas.
This also means that I have my own cabin, with double bed, shower, tv, 2 portholes and even a cabin steward. The officers mess is even more of a treat: waiter served area with buffet and a la carte menu, carpeted floors (which makes all the difference) and flat screen TV's. I ordered a pasta dish. I can see how people gain weight here, I need to be careful.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these next few days bring...

In summary: weird, exciting, overwhelming, fancy, scary, unreal and a bit insane!
Termite passages