Darwin

Australia Travel Blog

Darwin Harbour
After an arduous journey via Dubai and Singapore from Cape Town, I arrived in Darwin at 4:30 am. The first thing that I noticed was the humidity. It is an evil combination of Durban and Bangkok and I very pleased to be staying in an airconditioned hotel.

Darwin (pronounced Dahwin) by the Aussies is situated in the Northern Territory of Australia. It is a relatively small town and hence some people (such as my cousin Neville) do not know of its existence (or perhaps deny it). It is apparently the least densely populated town of Australia with a population of only 120 000 people or 1,5 people per square kilometer (according to our shuttle driver).

Darwin is a lush and green town, which is due to generous annual rainfall, but more probably as a result of lack of water restrictions!

Having to set my clock 8 hours forwards was a major confusion to both my sleep, as well as eating pattern.
Go Shorty!
I decided against a morning nap and made my way to the city centre.
After spending a half an hour there, I wondered if I had made the wrong choice. Not that Darwin does not have much to offer, but only later I found out that most activities and things worth seeing are not located in the city centre.

A top gear episode I watched on the plane informed me that there are 2 types on Australians. Those that drive Fords and those that drive Holden. I managed to photograph one such pimped out vehicle (Holden), of which there are plenty around town.

A short trip to the harbour was a pleasant surprise. It is a beautifully designed area replete with wave pool and enclosed swimming area.
I decided on a swim in the harbour. A local told me that I might encounter fish that “do not bite, but nudge”. I swam for a few minutes, but the anticipation of a “nudge” in combination with all the adverts for crocodiles in Darwin had me leaving the water very soon.
Later I was told that I should not swim in any area in Darwin, as there are apparently fresh water crocodiles all over the place!

I decided on going back to my hotel, which was much safer, with less crocs and more tolerable humidity!
Darwin City Centre
...where the fish nudge you
...where the fish "nudge" you