Running with the Bulls '09

Pamplona Travel Blog

Me and Will
On 2 July 2009 two friends and I made our way down to the Pamplona not knowing what to expect. soon enough we were right in the thick of the festival spirits. It was five days of non stop fiesta from the minute we stepped onto the bus packed full of travellers form all over the place till the moments we left...

It’s hard to put into words the atmosphere here, people from all over the world celebrating throughout the city all wearing the same white and red traditional costume.

People fill the park, dance behind marching bands in the streets and moving disco, gather in plazas at the various live music stages and crowd into bars for sangria, calimocho and the famous pinchos. And that’s at night.

As the sky begins to lighten, heavy wooden fences are constructed for the daily bull run.
Fesival adventures
Two hours before the launch of the 8am rocket which signals that the bulls are loose, all-night partyers gather along the famous route, waiting for a good spot to watch the excitement.

Approximately 4 minutes the whole city stopped to watched the excitement of the run!

After a heavy night after the opening ceremony the day before we finally had made it to the beginning of track. Struggling to keep ourselves awake the time slowly passes and the atmosphere in the crowd is ever changing. it is so packed, you dont even have to take your own weight.

the gates open and the mosh pit desperately disperses down the track. the rocket is let off... the bulls are out. the pace of the crowd slowly builds and the noise gradually rising helps you distinguish how much time you've got.
With the nerves finally drowned out by adrenaline I cant wait to finally see it, i jump out to the middle of the track to see if i could see it, the first bull was 5 metres away, its ominous horns sitting 6 foot high. Watching the bull run straight for me I peel my run off to the side of the track. A a few of them pass on the in side I look back for the next ones as I run... at this point someone jumps of the wall and we collide I fall straight into the middle of the track. knowing the bulls were in close proximity I stay down and hope for the best. feeling the ground shake I open my eyes to a bulls hoof planting right infront of my head.... wo! I though that was close... someone pulled me out when it was safe and I stuck to the side from there on...

What a rush.