the Norweigen and Northern Luxembourg

Vianden Travel Blog

Vianden castle
This was probably the least-planned day of our whirlwind 6 day trip. We knew we were going into Luxembourg, we thought there would be an open air market on Saturday that Tracy had researched, and we knew we would be taking the hop-on-hop-off bus thing! And that was about it!

My friend Stian (another WTO studies classmate like Thanisa) lined up a train from Brussels to meet us right around our arrival time. We had about 20 minutes to spare before he arrived so we went into the tourist office to figure out what there might be to do and find out where the market was. The staff member was very kind, looked up activities and told us apologetically he did not see an open air market today, but marked off a walking tour and a bus tour for Luxembourg City. We had seen some pretty pictures of castles in the window so RJ and Tracy really took the lead on this one and figured out exactly how to get to the city of Vianden.
patriotic view from a window
I still would not be able to tell you what train, in what direction. Only that there was a bus at the other end that would take us almost the entire way to the castle.

At the tourist office we stopped to ask for directions, despite sort of being able to see the castle from the office - doesn't hurt to be careful right? She asked us if we wanted to get the Luxembourg card. I know the NY and France cards are practically useless, but this one turned out to be a Godsend! For a group of 5, it cost 20 Euro (which would have been the same price as admission for 4 to the castle alone). We ended up getting a 30% discount on the hop-on-hop-off bus tour, as well as free admission to the MUDAM with this little card. Yay for Luxembourg's tourist-friendly budget-considerate-ness! =D

Northern Luxembourg was sooo beautiful.
Tracy and I perched at the top of the castle
I'm so glad we made the trek out here - it wasn't even very far! The air was so crisp and clean! The geology was a lot more interesting than I had thought it would be. Lots of rolling hills, rivers cutting through forests, and beautiful little streets. There's a funny contingency of bikers up here though - I bet Harley Davidson would make a killing here!!

We had to climb a winding street to get to this castle, but it was really nice. Lots of little surprises like a beautiful window-ed area with great views, lots of original furniture, no torture chambers unfortunately! But my favorite part was the library area. They had a dozen or so amazing examples of illuminated manuscripts - and THEY LET YOU TOUCH THEM! You have to put on cotton gloves, but I could not believe that they let the public touch these 400 year-old books with their hands!! Unbelievable!!

jenn79 says:
thank you! =)
Posted on: Jun 19, 2010
festerwretch says:
Congrats on the feature!
Posted on: Jun 17, 2010
patriotic view from a window
Tracy and I perched at the top of …
Tracy and I perched at the top of…
heehee!