what in the world?!

New York Travel Blog

This is the first time I've ever planned a trip with so little sense of how things would actually turn out. It kind of serves me right - I had booked it initially to satisfy the wanderlust (without breaking our banks) of someone new I was getting to know, only to discover after it was all confirmed that it probably wouldn't happen for a laundry list of reasons. My damned luck I swear. This teaches me not to invest in something when the other person has no skin in the game - stupid Jen, that's debt & collateral 101! When things looked like they weren't going to pan out, I was torn between selling the week's timeshare or trying to salvage it and go on my own for a much needed vacation. I invited a dozen friends from all over the world to join me instead, but only 2 weeks before the actual trip! I was totally screwed, and not even in the good way!

I had a gorgeous 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom villa on the outskirts of France just like last time. Early summertime in Paris, free housing: what a no brainer!
But oh, the airfares! From the US they were pricing out at over $1500!! The European flights were pricing out at around 150 Euro. I had to stifle laughing at complaints about this considering our fares are 10-fold of theirs to go 3 times the distance, but this was also 50% over what they were used to paying for the same trips. Ah well.

Ten days before the trip and I only had a vague notion of who would show up. Lots of people were interested but hadn't bought their tickets yet or were in the process of asking for the time off. I can fit 6 people in the villa comfortably, and I had no idea 10 days before the trip if I would have 1 guest or a freaking dozen.

I also find out that 3 people I know happen to be in Paris more or less the same week. Will they join me? We shall see!

T minus 8 days and RJ and Tracy are kind enough to bite the bullet and book their nearly fifteen-hundred dollar fares to spend 6 little days with me in France. I'm close to tears with happiness and gratefulness at having such AMAZING company. Tracy is hands down one of the BEST people to travel with and RJ is one of the funnest, quirkiest and sweetest spirits I've ever known.  I'm SO HAPPY to have this duo as my core travel partners.

T minus 7 days - I get an email - Sandro and Irene - 2 of my best friends from Portugal will let me know by tomorrow if they can come but they're worried about the impending recession in Portugal! The same day I get an email from my friend Karesz from Budapest hoping to surprise our mutual friend Irene by showing up!

T minus 6 days - my WTO classmate Thanisa from South Africa has gotten the ok to spend Monday through Thursday with me - WOOHOO! Our other WTO classmate Christina is in the middle of finals and can neither confirm nor deny what days she'll be there.

T minus 5 days - Sandro can't come, neither can Irene. However, Karesz is still going to try!

Who knows what will happen in the next 4 days! It could be a full house of 6, it could be a comfortable 4. Anxiety has shredded me to pieces and I'm trying my best to stay positive and remember how much I love traveling and how fun this is going to be with such amazing company in tow. I can't wait to spend some time on the beach in Etretat and just let all the stress and all-nighters from the past few weeks release from my shoulders.
Liselore_Verschuren says:
Congrats on your featured blog! :)
Posted on: Jun 18, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on having this travel blog featured! Nicely done!
Posted on: Jun 17, 2010