Holly's Birthday

Trier Travel Blog

The Roman Baths
Germany was a strange choice, and it was when I purchased my first passport. Me, and my then partner David, had been invited to go with his cousin Rob, his wife Holly (who incidentally was the little girl in Supergran :) ), and her brother-in-law Paul, to go to Trier for the weekend in the February of 2004 for Hollys birthday. It was this trip that probably got me hooked on weekend city breaks, and the need to constantly be looking at cheap flight websites...

We flew from London Stanstead to Frankfurt-Hann, and then hired a car to drive to Trier in West Germany; a small town sat on the River Mosel. It is a lovely place, and from our hotel, Hotel d'Umfer, we could see the Mariensaule Monument on the top of the hill.
Karl Marx Haus
We did take a picnic up there one day, and the views were astonishing. We climbed the Porta Nigra, visited the toy museum, looked around the Constantine Basilica, took a trip to the roman baths and the amphitheatre, and even went to the Sunday flea-market. We did the ritual city tour on the little train, and I still have the tickets....We also visited the Karl Marx Haus....and I hate to admit that up until recently I had no idea who he was!!! (I'm still not that sure).

Having a hire car proved useful on our last day. We had to check out of the hotel by 10am, and our flight wasn't until at least 5pm. After hollys birthday breakfast we jumped in the car and went for a drive. We managed to go across the border to Luxembourg for a couple of hours and then onto Hetange Grande in France for Hollys birthday lunch. It was definately an experience to cover four European countries in one day....

As with France, my only regret from my trip to Germany is that I didn't get to see the Capital Berlin. I'd like to go back to see the Capital.....but I'm too eager to make my way around the world as much as I can to book another trip back to a Country I've already visited.
At the Porta Nigra
The Amphitheatre
Us at the Mariensäule monument
Us at the Mariensäule monument
Trier Hotels & Accommodations review
Perfect base for a break in Trier
The Hotel Am Ufer is located just off the main road on the way into Trier. Cross over the road and you find yourself looking up the River Moselle; an… read entire review