A horrible day at Houston airport

Houston Travel Blog

I knew this would be a rough day, as I had many connections. It's one of those situations where so many things depend on each other and if any of them goes wrong, the whole day will go wrong. And that's exactly what happened.

Things started a bit uneasy in Cartagena already, as I was asked many questions by virtually everyone at the airport before I could go to my departure gate. I guess a mexican travelling from Colombia to the States is highly suspicious, lol. An army official said they would need to scan me through X-Ray in a special room. Things got a little scary, but I cleared that rather quickly. I guess the only weird thing he could see was my kidney stent lol.

After that, things went ok and the plane arrived to Panama on time. The Panama-Houston flight delayed half an hour and I knew that if immigration was busy, I wouldn't be able to make my connection on time. And that's exactly what happened. As soon as I arrived there I saw a huge line of at least 500 people I would say! Then my hopes started to vanish. I made it through with 15 minutes to get to the gate. I tried to get there as soon as possible, but the kidney stent does not allow me to run or walk very fast. And actually it was starting to hurt a little.

I got to the gate at exactly 3:45, but obviously they wouldn't let me in the plane. And actually they had overbooked the flight, so there were people complaining at the gate about it. They tried to get me in the flight at 6:30 PM, but I waited and no spot opened :( To be honest I was feeling really ill by that moment, so it was probably better for me to take a night off and stay at a hotel anyway.

I called one of those services for distressed passengers and they found me a room at a Travelodge near the airport. I did not do anything but rest, and I actually felt much better the next morning. The only thing I am worried about is my bags! I hope they make it to London on time, otherwise I will be in a little trouble.
montecarlostar says:
I will! This trip has been a little extra adventurous because of that haha, but so far I have been doing fine :) Only a couple of "running" tours have put me into trouble. But the excitement does a lot for me to forget that I should actually be at home resting! :P
Posted on: Jun 15, 2010
esterrene says:
Carlos!!! i don't think I like you traveling with kidney problems!! Be careful!
Posted on: Jun 14, 2010
Houston Hotels & Accommodations review
Good hotel for a forced overnight stay in Houston
I had to stay in this hotel when I missed my connection flight to London in Houston airport. I was afraid I wouldn't get any budget hotel in the area,… read entire review
photo by: vances