My first day in an Italian town

Montecatini Terme Travel Blog

Church of Our Lady
At first I had felt a little bummed that the conference I was attending was organized in Montecatini Terme and not in Florence. I would be about 40 miles north, but still unable to go to Florence easily. The day before, I had arrived into the city and after taking a little break I walked around to take a look at the place and find something to eat. The city is small, but ok, it has nice fountains and pictoresque streets. Montecatini is famous for its hot springs, so there are a lot of spa places and resorts of that kind.

I noticed the city was full with old people everywhere. This is where they must come from all over Italy to rest from the busy life of cities. It was 5 PM and I couldn't find anywhere open to eat. I realized later that italians like to have dinner very late at night (after 8-9 PM) so no place is open before that.
Plaza del Poppolo
In that sense, I find Italy to be a very traditional country compared to the States. In a way I think I am a little spoiled by wanting to find a place open to eat any time of the day. Or maybe I am so used to the all-day breakfasts served at IHOP. I felt a little annoyed, but I entertained my stomach with a smoothie.

While I was touring the city I found a guy that was checking in at the hotel at the same time that I did. He seemed to be just as lost as I was, so I approached and talked to him. He was from Turkey and also new to Italy and the city. We got along rather quickly and kept walking until we found a place to eat. I ordered some spaghetti, but I was surprised that it wasn't as good as I expected. Anyway, I was still tired, so I decided to call it a day.
I ordered this pizza - yummies :P

The next morning I attended the conferences and then went for lunch with my new turkish friend. This time we went to a much better pizza place that was also very cheap. Another annoying thing that I found was that there is no "regular" water for sale anywhere. All they have is this horrible water with gas - arggghhh. I also miss the refills with my drink hahaha. United States what did you do to me!!!

The city at night is lovely. This time we could see lots of peole (young) hanging out and having gelatto or drinks. You could hear music at these coffee and gelato places and also lots of people blasting it in their car stereos. Montecatini is not a bad place at all. I think it's got quite a bit of the Italian culture even if its not one of the very famous touristy cities.
montecarlostar says:
Hahaha that's absolutely right, and besides, no refill! I am not sure if I'll be able to recover from that :) Haha
anupa_rk says:
I hear ya! Conveniences like these are so easy to get used to and so hard to get un-used to :D
When I went back to India after my stint in Chicago, it took me months to get used to the fact that the "large" coke there was smaller than the "small" coke in the US :D
montecarlostar says:
Hahaha 4 years in the States are enough to spoil anybody Anupa! Hahaha :D
City map
City map
Church tower
Church tower
Palazzio del Congreso - The venue …
Palazzio del Congreso - The venue…
Monument to Italian heroes