Relaxing days in Davidovits hometown

Saint Quentin Travel Blog

Saint-Quentin??? Really?? Or Ruston? :P
After my exciting, but agitated days in Paris, destiny finally brought me to Saint-Quentin, a small town in the Picardie region of France where I would attend my last conference in this trip. After the adventure of taking Paris metro with all mybags and finally arriving into Gare du Nord, I took the train to my next and last destination in France.

The train arrived into what seemed to be a desolate location. For a moment I thought it was not the real train station yet, but it really was. Then I thought, "wow, am I back in Ruston?", as everything seemed so familiar, specially the brick buildings. I was born in a small city, so maybe for that reason I had the feeling of being "home", vs. the thrill and emotion of being in a megacity like Paris.

It didn't take long before my new host picked me up at the station, and after a much needed shower, we went out for drinks with some of their friends.
It is truly St. Quentin!
This time it was a lot more difficult to get in the group, since I don't speak a word of french and they spoke very little english as well; but I still had a great time. Dinner was fantastic.

The next day, I also took a low profile and didn't do much. At night we went to another wonderful dinner at the house of one of my host's friends. I had never been in a dinner with so many different courses. We had an apperitiv, then the main course (chicken kebab), then cheese (in France, you HAVE to eat some cheese), then cake, then coffee. We were basically eating and drinking all the time. I thought it was a great way to celebrate my birthday, even though again language was a bit of a barrier. Everybody was so nice anyway, and I did have the chance to speak to some of them a bit.
Brick buildings!

On Saturday, I woke up late and after lunch we went touring Saint-Quentin downtown a bit, since it had rained and the weather was fresh and nice. I discovered that most of the town buildings are made of brick with no other cover on them. For me it was fascinating, I had never seen such a thing. The downtown scene was really cool, lots of restaurants, shops and places to hang out. They even have a little "beach" in the very main square for kids to have fun in the summer. I visited their Basilica, which I thought it was huge. I got a map and lots of information at the tourist office, which will really help me on the next days. We also visited their park, called the "Champs Elysees" and I saw a little of that game called Petanque, which consists basically of throwing your ball closer to the red marker, and displacing your opponent's as well. We also watched the Argentina-Germany game of the world cup, but I better say nothing for respect to my Argentinian friends... :(
montecarlostar says:
Jajaja ya lo sé Frans, pero vine aquí porque debo atender una conferencia donde presentaré algo de mi trabajo, así que es más por obligación que por placer... pero la he pasado bien :)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2010
fransglobal says:
De toda las ciudades de Francia, yo no elegiria St Quentin!!!
Posted on: Jul 04, 2010
Saint-Quentin??? Really?? Or Rusto…
Saint-Quentin??? Really?? Or Rust…
Palace of Justice
Palace of Justice
Downtown and their beach
Downtown and their "beach"
City hall
Another view of the Basilica
Another view of the Basilica
Saint Quentin Sights & Attractions review
Very interesting butterfly collection
This museum features a very large collection of butterflies, probably one of the most beautiful in Europe. It is an interesting visit for both childre… read entire review
Saint Quentin