Hola Holanda, que idea!

Arnhem Travel Blog

I saw this cool windmill on the road
After my last day at the Geopolymer Conference and a great dinner in Saint Quentin, I was ready to visit my fourth country in this trip: the Netherlands.

I had to take the train very early because I wanted to be at the Schipol Airport train station at 11:00 AM. I could sleep a bit on the trains, but I was a bit nervous as I had to make two train changes and I had very little time in Brussels (10 minutes) for that. Fortunately everything went well. In Lille I had to actually walk about 500 meters from one train station to the other, but it was ok. The train was full of very well dressed people using laptops. I felt a bit weird as I was wearing very informal and comfortable clothes, lol.

I was very happy to meet my buddy Rich and his girlfriend Carola at Schipol.
Gelredome
I met Rich almost a year ago in TB and it was so cool to finally meet in real life. We immediatly left to Arnhem as they would show me around the city. I found Arnhem to be a very modern city, probably more similar to what I have seen in the USA than to the rest of Europe. Of course there are some ancient buildings and other very european things, but Rich explained me that a lot of the old houses in Arnhem were bombed during the war and therefore much of the city had to be rebuilt. We saw the outside of the Gelredome (the home stadium of Vitesse), walked around the shops in the downtown area and went on top of the churchbell tower. Unfortunately it is still being restored, so our view was partially blocked. We also visited a small museum remembering the WWII battle of Arnhem. After some ice cream, I was ready to go to the hostel and take some necesary rest.
I saw this cool windmill on the ro…
I saw this cool windmill on the r…
Vitesse yes!
Vitesse yes!
Inscription at the devils house
Inscription at the devil's house
Devils sculptures
Cool display of the battle events
Memorial to the battle
Memorial to the battle
Arnhem Hostels review
Very comfortable and reasonably priced hostel option in Arnhem
This hostel is a bit hard to find, as it is located in the outside of Arnhem. The bus station is located at about a 15 minute walk from the hostel, so… read entire review
Arnhem