Babysitting at the plane

Panama City Travel Blog

The flight from Houston to Panama City departed at the scheduled time. I was looking for my seat and I realized I would sit next to a mother with her two daughters. Oh my Gosh, I thought. Not my favorite kind of flightmate at all. I don't have a lot of patience with kids and I felt a little tired as I had to wake up at 4 AM.

She was occupying all three seats with her kids and her stuff and I asked her: "Do you have seat 18F ma'am"? She looked in her boarding passes and no, she didn't. She made clear that her daughter liked to be in the window. (I thought, typical... single males are always at the end of any priority list, lol). I said "I don't mind ma'am, I can seat by the aisle". She also said that she would constantly ask me to stand up as she and her kids would make frequent trips to the restroom. Obviously she was trying to discourage me from taking the seat, but I wasn't in the mood for finding another one and the plane looked pretty full.

I finally sat by the aisle, and as soon as the plane departed the baby started to cry. I said to myself "Patience!" and determined to be really kind throughout the flight. I wasn't going to let this situation ruin it for me. I said "have a nice flight ma'am" with a smile and tried to sleep. After my little nap, I woke up for breakfast and her first turn to the restroom came. Again, I moved with a smile and acted really kind all the time. When she came back she said with a smile: "Travelling with kids is really difficult". :) That totally made it for me! Someone told me once that you have the power to change other people's mood just by being kind to them and I had proved it now! And by making her feel good, I also felt good myself.

I learned that the baby's name was Emilia and the other girl was Sofia. I said those were cute names and that the girls were beautifiul. The baby girl hit herself in the head with the service table and started to cry. I tried to caress her head a bit and say cute things and the baby immediatly wanted me to carry her lol. That was nice, I hadn't carried a baby in years. As soon as I took her in my arms, she cuddled, awwww. I played with her a bit and I started to think if I would like to be a father one day. Nice moments like this are definitively inviting, but there is much more to fatherhood and I don't know I am prepared of if I will ever be lol.

I was happy that what potentially would be an awful flight turned into a very nice one. I had made someone's day and they had made mine too.

montecarlostar says:
Hahaha thank you :) I was upset in the beginning, but it ended up being a good experience :)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2010
Tinktinkie says:
Awww...that is so sweet of you!
Posted on: Nov 26, 2010