Victor in Victorias City

Victorias City Travel Blog

My late grandma fed us with wonderful stories of her growing up in Victorias City. The city was one of the places that I promised myself I would visit by hook or by crook.

From Bacolod City, it was an almost hour of travel by bus. There are two things that I really want to see here: Victorias Milling Company (VMC) and the Church of the Angry Christ. We alighted by the city plaza and entered a church. The church was relatively new and then soon I realized, we were in the wrong church! No angry Christ in this church. We were told that the church I was looking for was inside the VMC compound.

After a quick tryke ride, we finally saw the church which real name is Chapel of St. Joseph the Worker. The striking mural of Jesus on the altar's walls really caught my eyes. I've never seen him depicted as angry before. But more than that, what's really amazing with this chapel is the depiction of Bible characters as Filipinos. They have brown skin and round eyes. This is definitely the most politically correct church in the Philippines.

We were meaning to go inside VMC, which is Asia's largest sugar refinery, but we were told that we have to book in advance and tour is available only on Fridays. Tough luck, huh?

Anyway, we stayed in the plaza for a short while and got a feel of Victorias City.
cool bus
cool bus
oops, wrong church. but amazing st…
oops, wrong church. but amazing s…
Church of the Angry Christ