Silay City where the old meets the new

Silay City Travel Blog

San Diego Pro-Cathedral
Silay City is touted as the Paris of the Orient with its well-preserved ancestral houses. I chose this as my last stop since the airport is found in this city.

After buying iodine for my uncle so he can clean his wound further, I took some snapshots of the church nearby. As well as the old establishments. We checked out the Jalandoni Museum with the original furniture still intact.

We had some inasal for lunch and then headed to Balay Negrense, one of the more famous ancestral houses in Silay City. The house was built by sugar baron Victor Gaston and was turned to a museum some years ago. In the museum, one can witness the opulent lifestyle of the family as well as understand some practices of the older generations of Filipinos.
Balay Negrense
A student of a nearby university was having an internship there and acted as my tour guide. I was amazed with the things she told me and imagined how wonderful the life of the Gaston family was.

I think we stayed in Balay Negrense for over an hour. Since my uncle was injured, I headed to go around the city to see all the famous ancestral houses. I photographed a map of them I found in a magazine in Balay Negrense so I'll know where they are. I was like on a hunting trip shooting each house as soon as I found them. I was able to see all of the houses in less than 2 hours and returned to my uncle for a serving of mais con yelo (which is shaved ice with corn and milk). We stayed for a while in the town plaza until I let him go and had my early dinner at El Ideal Restaurant. Their guapple pie was muy delicioso. I bought my pasalubongs there as well.

By 5 pm, I rode a shuttle van going to the airport. I stopped by the souvenir store near the airport since I was looking for a delicacy that I did not see in Silay. I realized that the souvenirs they sell here were way cheaper than what they sold in El Ideal. Bummer!

A couple of hours later, I boarded my plane and brought with me all the wonderful memories of this trip.
another cool trke
another cool trke
cop by the Jalandoni Museum
cop by the Jalandoni Museum
Silay Citys version of the Ruins?
Silay City's version of the Ruins?
29,990 km (18,635 miles) traveled