Off to Guimaras (some hits and misses)

Guimaras Travel Blog

Upon arriving in Silay City by plane and after being met by my uncle, we went to the Reclamation Port in Bacolod City. Once in the port, we look for the ferry going to Iloilo City that was about to leave and we boarded it. The ferry trip lasted about an hour and a half. Upon touching ground in Iloilo, we went to the Ortiz port to ride a pumpboat going to Guimaras Island. The pumpboat ride was about 30 mins long.

Upon reaching Jordan port, we registered at the tourism center.

I wanted to have a tour of Guimaras so we hired a multicab to drive us around.  One thing that astonished me in my trip here as well as in Iloilo and Negros Occidental, is how they upped the ante of of public transportation. People here somehow revolutionized the models of jeepneys, buses and tricycles. Anyway, the driver wanted P1,200 but I haggled and we agreed at P1,000. Not bad considering the distance of the tour we're going to take.

The sites we visited were the following:

1. Ambukal Fall (miss) - Aside from the fact that there was no water flowing through the falls because of El Nino, trash was to be found everywhere left presumably by the locals.

2.  Guimaras Museum (miss) - Museum was closed on a Friday morning. It's not even weekend yet!

3. Trappist Monastery (hit) - Run by the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance, I appreciated the quiet environment surrounding the church.

The only monk I was able to talk to was the one in the store. There are lots of good buys in the store like the mango otap, mango bars, dried mangoes, mango jams and others. I asked if they have trappist beer there but they didn't.

4. Valle Verde Mountain Resort (hit) - The resort provides a good view of Alubihod beach from afar. The resort also has a pool where you have to go down a hundred steps to reach it.

5. Guisi Lighthouse (hit) - Always a big fan of lighthouses, I was amazed to see that despite having a new lighthouse the people still kept the old rusty lighthouse. Wasn't able to climb up the old lighthouse since I think it wasn't safe with all its rusty steps.

6. Guisi Beach (hit) - Fine sand and relatively clean despite the narrow shore. The beach provides a view of the lighthouses from afar.

FINAL DESTINATION:

We reached our final destination, the Alubihod Beach.

The beach spans less than a kilometer. It boasts of having fine, cream-coloured sand. The only concern I had in this place was the flock of tourists that were in the area. I am for the quiet beach type so the marketplace noise was certainly not what I was looking for at the moment. The big resort in the place called Raymen Beach Resort ran out of rooms so we headed to the nearby resort, Raymond's Resort. We rented a hut elevated on some coral stones for P1,000 (originally priced at P1,600). The location of hut provides a panoramic view of the beach.

After checking in and having lunch, we had our afternoon nap. I woke up at 4 and went down to the beach to swim and take some pictures.

boat to Guimaras
Alubihod Beach view from our hut
Alubihod Beach view from our hut
Guimaras Hotels & Accommodations review
Overpriced accomodation
The only good thing staying in the hut in this resort is the panoramic view of the beach. Other than that, there is none. Service was bad. The staff d… read entire review
Guimaras