Peru

Lima Travel Blog

We had the most AMAZING experience in the Amazon region.  We had a speed boat into the Amazon river and rainforest, saw monkeys, all kinds of weird animals, and even an ANACONDA!! We took a picture of it too! Then we went trekking and fell in the water, canoeing and birdwatching, went to visit the indigenous tribes, shot a dart from a looooooong tube to kill whatever the heck its supposed to kill, and had monkeys go crazy all over us. SOOOOO AMAZING. I want a wolly monkey as a pet. oh, and one even tried to hump my friend Carmen in the face. I nearly`peed my pants laughing. Got the BEST pic of that as well as one trying to steal my hat while taking a pic.
We also had somecrazy bird experiences...a macaw drank out of our beer glass and then chased Carmen off her hammock and screeched at her until she ran away. (one of those great moments u had to see and be there for).

We also had the best fish cooked fresh right after the catch and then went hiking. We had no reception on our phones because there was NO ELECTRICTY whatsoever in the lodge. We stayed in bungalows with oil lamps, met some other travellers and shared stories of our travels. Can´t believe I´ve only been here 7 days and did so much.

Then we went to Huacachina to the sand desert and go sand surfing. Its crazy because one day, i´m in a jungle in 100 degree humidity, the next day be in a beautiful coastal town like California, then in the desert, then in the mountains of Macchu Picchu. We rode dune buggies (the most amazing roller coaster ever) and then sand boarded down HUGE sand dunes. The highest one was 200 meters and I won the race to go the fastest and farthest on my sandboard. I almost ran over my group on the way down, i was going so fast! That was the highlight of my trip.

Then we got to Cusco and took atrain to Machu Picchu. If you ever get a chance to see this place...GO. Its absolutely amazing. I can´t believe the Incas were able to build something like this and its just a wonderful experience and sight to see. It´s on the list as a candidate to be one of the 7 new wonders of the world as well. We did a one day hike up but many others would go on the Inca Trail itself and get acclimated to the high altitude.

The coolest thing so far at this altitude, is a drink called the coca tea mate. This drink helps you get acclimated to the altitude and helps with sicknesses. Its also the plant that cocaine is made of.  Its not illegal at all. Everyone drinks it and it tastes amazing. Soothing like green tea but better. However, I dont know how US customs would feel if i brought some of these leaves home. Man, Im a crackaddict now. =)