Forging Friendship through Food Tripping.

Makati City Travel Blog

I have been looking forward to work in the financial center of my country, way back in 2005.

I tried my luck last quarter of 2005, and luckily landed a job. However, due to some circumstances, I had to leave Makati over my college. I felt bad at first, since it will pave the way to my dreams. Realizing the impact of that  job, this could have been given me so much possibilities and opportunities. But, its worth the wait. While working on my thesis, I easily got a job to one of the Universities in my province, Ilocos Norte. I have finished college then with a bang.

These past years, I never had any consciousness to what I'm heading. I'm a kind of person who goes with the flow, who is similarly to those outdoorsy. I have been to different places with different cultures, so I was molded with so much respect to these differences on orientations.

Just after my 8-month stay in the University, I decided to leave Ilocos Norte. I wanted to grow as an individual, trying to be independent. I wanted to learn more. I wanted to discover something new. With just a blink of an eye, I headed to Baguio, the City of Pines.

In Baguio, I started to love the art of eating. There are good things about this idea -- friends' untold stories are eventually being shared. You'll get surprised with their revelations and secrets. Friendship is being strengthened too. These have been the reasons why I have never moved on that much when I leave Baguio. Until now, I misses my friends out there.

Finally, I accepted an offer to stay and work in Makati, the major financial, commercial and economic hub in the Philippines.
And, as usual, food tripping is still on my major lists of activities!

Photos were taken during our food trips at Karate Kid, Starbucks, Gerry's Grill and more.

Meantime, I just want to share how Makati City started. Thanks to Wikipedia ( for the information.

Makati is one of the 16cities that make up Metro Manila, one of the most populous metropolitan area in the world. Makati is the financial center of the Philippines. As the host of various embassies, it is also an important center for international affairs.

With a population of 510,383, Makati is the 16th largest city in the country and ranked as the 40th most densely populated cities in the world with 18,654 inhabitants per km2.

Makati was founded by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi in which he dismissed Makati as a worthless swamp. Legazpi asked the name of the place but, because of the language barrier, was misinterpreted by the natives. Pointing to the receding tide of Pasig River, the natives answered, Makati, kumakati literally meaning ebbing tide. Makati became the financial center of the Philippines during the 1950s and later became the epicenter of a large scale revolution. Following the 1983 revolution, Makati was the site of the2003 revoltand followed by rebellion and sige in 2007.

Many districts and landmarks in the city have become well known to outsiders. Makati has been iconified as the "Financial Capital of the Philippines". Anchored with Ayala Avenue, Makati is the financial capital of the Philippines and is the home of of the Philippine Stock Exchange and theMakati Business Club, one of the most important economical hub in the Philippines.

World-class research universities reside in the city.

Makati is noted for its highly cosmopolitan culture, also being a major cultural and entertainment hub in Metro Manila. Many expatrriates live and work in the city. Makati is also home to many first-class shopping malls, which are located at Ayala Center and Rockwell Center. Makati also has the tallest buildings in the Philippines like PB COM Tower and G.T. International Tower.

The city also has many of the country's five-star hotels like The Peninsula Manila, the Shangri-La Hotel Makati and the Intercontinental Hotel Manila. Independent business travelers also benefit from budget hotels like the Saint Illian's Inn, El Cielito Inn, The Copa Businessman's Hotel, and The City Garden Suites, while serviced apartments like The Salcedo Suites, Fraser Place Manila, Jupiter Suites (Jupiter Arms Hotel) and The Oxford Suites are gaining in popularity among business-minded travelers as well.

Makati came from the Tagalog word kati, which means tide. This primarily refers to the rise and ebb of the tide of the Pasig River on the city's northern border. The city was also known as San Pedro de Macati during the Spanish era.

Today the city is one of the most modern cities in the country and the country's major global economic competitor in Asia. However, it faces challenges due to the disparate gap between the new city in the west, which contains the Central Business District, and the old city in the east, which is largely poor and where most of the city's slums are located. Despite this, Makati City is said to be the most outstanding city in the Philippines.

holdmyhandsforever says:
Thank you, Kuya Nolan! :)
Posted on: Nov 09, 2015
nolan says:
Nice foodie blog, Noel.
Posted on: Nov 08, 2015
holdmyhandsforever says:
Thank you Ahmad! Appreciate it buddy! :)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2015