Off to Dalat

Da Lat Travel Blog

Got up at 7am and headed down to breakfast. We left in the minivan just before 8am, starting on the long drive to Dalat. We passed over the Bao Luc mountain range where there had been several landslides over the road during the wet season, so people were trying to repair them. The going was slow and rough in those areas, but still nowhere near as bad as in Africa! We stopped for lunch at Lien Do restaurant. I ordered the chicken, which was a leg of fried chicken with chips and seafood/pork rice on the side. I didn't enjoy it much at all, so polished off K's veggies and L's steamed rice instead. They had awful keyboard music playing the whole time. Afterwards Y took us outside to show us coffee beans drying in the sun. We then headed a few minutes up the road to Tram Anh tea and coffee cafe.
Tea plantation
We tried lotus tree (gross, like aniseed), jasmine tea, and a caramel-smelling tea that was good for the liver. We also had traditional Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk which was actually really nice, and it was iced. The next brief stop was at a tea plantation by the side of the highway. Apparently the green tea leaf sap is very acidic so the tea pickers must wear gloves. 10-15 people do an entire massive area themselves. Our next stop was Lang Dinh An, 'Chicken Village', so named for the giant chicken statue in the centre of town, which has 9 spurs over its two heels. Y told us it's there to remind families to make reasonable expectations of their children's partners - the story goes that this girl's family asked the boy to find a 9-spurred chicken before he could marry her - he couldn't find one so he killed himself. Apparently the chicken, part of a now defunct water system, used to crow when water was pumped. The village is home to 600 Koho people. Around 6pm we made it to Dalat and checked into the Golf I Hotel at 11 Dinh Tien Hoang opposite the golf course. The room was very comfortable and I even got a double bed! Dinner was veggies with noodles and a banana shake. Afterwards we headed to the night market - mainly clothes - for a brief look around before heading back to the hotel. I got straight into bed as I had bad stomach cramps.
Chicken village