Boat tour and blind massage

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Hon Mieu
Got up at 8am, had breakfast - french fries, bread roll with jam, passionfruit juice, veggie noodles, then met the group at 9am to go on a boat trip for the day. It was done through Khanh Hoa tours and was quite good. First stop was the fishing village on Hon Mieu. We had a quick look around including at the primary and high school, then took a bucket boat back to our main boat. M and I were held hostage by our lady rower hidden behind another boat; she wanted a tip to support her 3 children, she was  widow, but we had been told expressly not to (they had already been tipped). M unfortunately tipped her anyway so I agreed to tip the male rower but only when we were back at our boat in plain view of everyone. The kidnappers weren't happy! Our next stop was a snorkelling spot.
Fishing village on Hon Mieu
I'd had a sore right eye since the previous night when a bug or some dust had gone in it, and by the time we left the village I could hardly open my eye at all and it was excruciating! I used some of K's eyedrops and L helped me to flush it out with some of my water. In the water all around us were little jellyfish with red spots. Lam our guide told us they didn't sting and grabbed one out to demonstrate. He was right, they didn't sting at all, but all the same, when I finally got in to snorkel after letting my eye clear up for a bit I tried not to let them hit my face as I swam past. The snorkelling was disappointing. The coral was largely dead and the fish were none too large or vibrant either. After the snorkelling K had a manicure and pedicure then we had lunch, which was a ridiculous amount of food, designed more for 15 people than 5 (there were 13 plates of food in total not including the steamed rice!).
Bucket boat
I had beef, egg, wrapped tofu, veggie noodles and rice. When lunch was over we headed to Bai Soai beach for 'doing lazy' where we sat in deckchairs on the rocky beach under a thatched umbrella. I read the whole of K's book 'Wally's World' about a delightful bull terrier. There were slides offshore you could go down but quite frankly I couldn't be bothered moving! Bought an icecream for 16,000D which was quite nice. At 3pm we left the beach and headed back to the mainland. We briefly showered back at the hotel then headed off for a blind massage. It cost 100,000D inc tip. The experience was quite strange. We got undressed down to our underwear then a blind person came in to massage us for an hour. Mine was a guy called Ma. Boy he was thorough. It was excruciating! There was lots of slapping involved over all parts of my body which felt a lot like someone whipping me with a belt! It was a burning, stinging sensation.
Decadent lunch...for just 5 people!
Overall super painful but good. E + K were in the same room as me with curtains separating us and they were moaning and yelping and laughing nearly all the time, it was so funny. I just tried to focus on slow and steady breathing. After the massage the others headed back to the hotel and I walked to the Long Son Pagoda, on a route that took me past Nha Trang Cathedral. The pagoda was founded in the late 19th century and is very pretty. At the top of the hill behind the pagoda was a huge white Buddha that looked out over Nha Trang, 14m high. Two girls in sky blue uniforms showed me around the lower half of the temple. They said they were students at the pagoda and had no family, and that they learned English and Japanese. The one girl in particular had very good English.
Bai Soai beach
At the end of the 'tour' they wanted me to pay 200,000D for some cheap postcards (a scheme written about in LP that I had forgotten about) but I just gave them 100,000D and declined the postcards. If their story was genuine I was happy to help. Also gave 500D to a lady who had held her hand out after minding my thongs when I'd had to take them off to go into the main hall, where there was not only a normal Buddha but a Hindu Shiva with 1000 hands and eyes. I didn't stay too long at the pagoda as it was getting dark and it would have been a long way to walk all alone and a bit scary. I took a motorbike for 20,000D which deposited me safely back out the front of our hotel Vien Dong. Washed my hair then at 7pm headed for dinner with K, E + L. After walking around for a while we finally mutually settled on Sunrise restaurant. I ordered the Biancoverde pizza for 85000D which had loads of pesto and garlic on it. Really nice! Afterwards just walked back to the hotel and spent ages updating the travel diary.
skippyed says:
The massage sounds painful.. Are you sure you didn't go to a B&M Parlour!!
Posted on: Jun 01, 2010