Neo-classic palace in Southern Sweden (Gunnebo Slott)

Molndal Travel Blog

From here I traveled almost to Goteborg. Just before the city limits, I headed south to Molndal. There are several lakes surrounded by park lands. I had to stop and take a few pics of the most amazing birch forest. After, I stopped at one of the lakes and had a nice walk around it. There were many weather worn docks with colorful little row boats strung about. I even spotted a palace on the opposite shore.

Feeling a bit lost, I found a parking lot, parked and walked to an area that had a pedestrian walkway sign. I was looking for a very special palace (Gunnebo Slott), unique in Sweden. It was signed well but……I found it anyway.

Gunnebo Slott was built by one of the richest men is Sweden in the 1780s. It was built to be a summer villa Upon completion, Gunnebo was said to be one of the most beautiful and stylistically pure examples of Neo-Classical Swedish architecture. The house was said to have been paid for with 38 barrels of gold.

The house isn’t large but is the epitome of elegance. It has classic design elements of Greek and Roman origin. The frieze on the rear of the house is unexpected and fantastic. The house would easily be at home in any southern state…..interesting.

photo by: delsol67