Bohus Fastning

Kungalv Travel Blog

Back in the car and making my way through Goteborg traffic, I decided to stop at Kungalv, to see Bohus Fastning (fortress).

Strategically located between the Norde Alv and Gota Alv Rivers, Kungalv is the site of a 10th century Viking settlement. It is dominated by the Bohus Fastning. It was built by the Norwegian King Hakon Magnussonin 1308 to defend the southern border of Norway. This was one of the strongest in Scandinavia and it never surrendered. Given it’s age, Bohus, is still quite impressive looking. From it’s high vantage point, the view of the Kungalv, the two rivers, and the valley around.

The courtyard and it’s buildings are rough and worn. The site is special in that it showcases many arches from different periods.

Most of the 16th century expansion was done by Danish prisoners sentenced to hard labor. The storehouse is a must see. It’s massive and showcases much about life in that environment.

While exploring the fortress, I witnessed a sailboat being rescued from the shallows by a tugboat. The “Father’s Hat” tower is the home of a notorious Midieval dungeon and is preserved. It is 6 meters deep (18 ft) and completely without daylight.

When I was beginning to leave, I spotted a windmill. As I am always interested in different countries windmills so…..I found my way to it. It’s quite a good specimen and is unique as it has an obvious Swedish cap on top….WOW!

I did my now daily island hopping and returned to Marstrand. I’ve come to enjoy the ferry ride to the island. It’s a beautiful view as we approach.

I enjoyed a quiet sunset from the balcony of the room and hoped for a sunnier day tomorrow.

Sunset on Marstrand