Arrival in Vigan, Ilocos Sur

Vigan Travel Blog

Calle Crisologo, Vigan Ilocos Sur

I woke up after 9 hours of sleeping in the bus.  At last, we've finally reached our initial destination! We arrived in Vigan at exactly 7am and got off the bus station to search for the tourist spots. I was already hungry since I hadn't taken my dinner from the time we left Manila, but time was too short and we had to stick with the itinerary I made for how many days. I only had 4 day vacation and we really had to finish strolling around Ilocos Sur the same day we arrived. Ignoring my appetite, we started our journey in Calle Crisologo. Calle Crisologo is a half-kilometer stretch of cobblestoned street lined with fine examples of 18th century Filipino-Spanish architecture. It is also one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Bantay Church in Vigan, Ilocos Sur
We reached the place 15minutes from the time we got off the bus station. The surrounding was quite different, we rented a calash for 100php and it made me feel like I travelled back time, back in the time of Spanish rule for over 300 years ago. The calash driver also took us to Bantay Church and Bell Tower that was also created during Spanish occupation.

After an hour of taking pictures, we asked the calash driver to take us to a restaurant for breakfast. Finally, it's time to eat!  I ordered bagnet and empanada ( Ilocos specialties ) as my heavy breakfast meal. The food was too hot but I didn't bother since I was really hungry. :) We then head off to our next destination ( Batac ), where the late Pres. Ferdinand Marcos was born. We visited his mausoleum and saw his waxed body that has been preserved since his death in 1989 ( no picture of his body was taken since it wasn't authorized).

St. Augustine Church in Paoay, Ilocos Norte (post card from heaven)
  Inside his mausoleum were his mementos including his letters to his wife Imelda and medals of valor during WWII.

After spending almost an hour in the mausoleum, we decided to leave and head to Paoay, Ilocos Norte to take pictures of St. Augustine church.
St. Augustine Church was also constructed during the Spanish period and was one of the colossal churches ever built during their occupation. I'd seen this church before, but only in the magazine, postcards and even MRT card. It is also one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites found in Ilocos. I've never seen with my naked eyes such a magnificent church like this before in my entire life. Now, I'm more amazed after seeing the church myself that it was built formidably to represent their excellency in the field of architecture.

Facade of the St. Augustine Church
  My legache were suddenly gone when we left, not because of miracle but because of so much amazement!

Since we ran out of time, we left Paoay in a sunny late afternoon and decided to travel straight to Pagudpud for another 3 hrs. Airconditioned buses passing by were very scarce and we had no option but to board a non-aircon mini bus. We sweat a lot while traveling because the window right next to us was facing the sun's direction, and the bus was also crowded with locals. We just used our towels as protection against the sun's heat ( how poor we were! ). Well, anyway! Despite of the situation we still enjoyed the journey, that was the thing we don't usually do and we just laughed about it.....  After 3 hours, we finally reached Pagudpud and we rushed to our hotel rooms to change clothes. We took our lunch and dinner at the same time by 8pm, then we drank a little before heading back to our room to rest...

That's all for now, enjoy the pictures I chose from my files. :)

Bantay Church in Vigan, Ilocos Sur
St. Augustine Church in Paoay, Ilo…
St. Augustine Church in Paoay, Il…
Me and the St. Augustine Church