Save Mother Earth.

Ilocos Norte Travel Blog

Lovin' the sky ;D

It was Saturday afternoon sometime in 2009, supposed to take the weekend with a bang, I and other Northwesternians headed to Piddig, Ilocos Norte in support to the Global Awareness Program.

There had been an announcement circulating each department in the University including ours, the Communications Media and Relations Center. The announcement requires two representatives on each department under the Office of the President.

As the University's Publications Coordinator, it has been mandated, though I had previous commitment, to attend the said tree planting activity to one of the far flung areas in Ilocos Norte.

At exactly 1 PM, we started heading to Piddig, riding two of the school buses of the University.

whoa! ;D
I supposed to join my friends riding a truck so could have chance to see the breathtaking views by nearby municipalities.

Instead of getting sun burns, I just opted to stay in a bus and to eventually take a nap considering that its an air-conditioned vehicle.

The three-hour ride was really rewarding. It was my first time to appreciate the place! Though, its mountainous, you can see how green the place is. I have heard so much about the place and at first, I was disgusted due to some troubles involving the politicians heading Piddig.

Our dearly University President spearheaded the tree planting of at least a thousand seedlings, along with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Provincial Director.

These seedlings were actually acquired by our Chief of Staff from the Provincial Government Office, DENR and some Non-Government Organizations especially the Green Ilocos Norte Movement.

Love it. ;D

The tree planting activity was participated by the different departments under the Office of the President, the REVIEW staff--official publication of Northwestern University students, NGO volunteers from GINA and the DENR Provincial Office.

It was noted that the activity was covered for the special edition of Gazette Magazine, one of the official administration papers of the University. I spearheaded the news gathering to give way with the magazine's layouting sessions with our Graphic Guru.

The effort was really rewarding since finally, for the first time, the Univesity will come up with an environmental effort featuring several activities held in the University and even in the province through this special edition of Gazette. Leading the Gazette team was somehow stressful but realizing the impact that you can provide to your readers, all I can say, it is a noble job.

So blue. ;D

At around 6 PM, kinda late already, we finished the said activity. Felt good for planting a thousand trees on the mountains of Piddig. This activity strengthened the bond we have in our department and fostered friendships with other departments. We are in one University, so its a need to unite as one big family, though.

Going out and joining tree planting activities like in Piddig is just one of the prices you can get after a very stressful job. In a simple way like this, you are roaming around and at the same time, helping Mother Earth, saving Mother Earth.

For today's scenario, there are lots of people planting too much through their Facebook's Farmvilles. They are engaging so much time for this online game and yet if you ask them to join you plant real trees, they have so much reasons, leaving you alone.

Wow...

Awareness nor urgency is just being created once hit by a natural disaster. We can avoid this kind of scenarios once people get in touch or once voluntarily joins activities saving our nature.

Be thankful that God provided us beautiful sceneries like the views on the photos added with this blog. He really care for us, and in return, we have to take good care of these sceneries that we are enjoying right now.

Save Mother Earth. Love LIFE.

Lovin the sky ;D