Smell of culture

Oaxaca Travel Blog

Bienvenidos en Oaxaca

We arrived in Oaxaca in the night, after a seven hours trip by bus from Mexico City. It was hard to sleep, the seat was confortable, sure, but I was so attracted by the land we were crossing, even if was dark outside I tried to capture each single light, plant or life sign ran behind my window. Jumped down the bus in the main station of Oaxaca and we were lucky to find a taxi, or maybe not, probably they are there in the night waiting that bus. The taxi drove us to the center. We booked at Hostal de la Noira, a four stars hotel situated in Avenida Hidalgo, about hundred meters from the main square Plaza de la Constitucion (Zocàlo). The hotel was very nice, as you expect a mexican hotel, in colonial style and colorful. Orange, blue, yellow.....happy!

Morning after we went soon to visit Plaza de la Constitucion, considered worldwide one of the most beautiful squares in the world.

El Zocalo
And I immediatly understood the reason! First of all, most important for me, seems that all the people is meeting there during the day or, at least, must to pass there. Is a big square with a very nice garden in the middle. All around arcades in colonial style hide bars, restaurants and craft shops.  Cozy! On the square you find the Palacio del Gobierno and the Catedral de la Virgen de la Asuncion de Maria. In the middle of the gardens the is a stand that catch my curiosity. A speaker is spreading mexican folk music. Is a meeting point for the organization against the repression of indigenous peoples of Oaxaca state. I join the cause and gift them some money to support the "revolution". Mandatory!

Following Alcalà, a nice commercial street, you find the Iglesia de Santo Domingo, a wonderful baroque church, and the Monastery of Santo Domingo, now Cultural Museum of Oaxaca with a wonderful botanical garden.

Alcalà
Alcalà is the cultural street in the city, full of small private museums, galleries and art shops. Is incredible how many wonderful works you can find there, you're tempted to buy everything you see: paintings, sculptures, furnitures, objects. But, luckily for my wallet, would be hard to take with in Italy!

For the dinner we had no doubts! El Asador Vasco! Right on the Zocàlo, from its terrace you can enjoy the night life on the square tasting regional specialties and lovely red wine.

In the second day we decided to visit the popula area of the city. Markets, boots shops, wineries and chapulinas sellers? What? you don't know what chapulinas are? Ayah ahya yaaa! Chapulinas are simply small grassohoppers that mexican in this area use to eat dry! I didn't taste, but now I regret!

Last day it was the day for Monte Alban.

Monte Alban
Wearrived to Monte Alban site half with bus and half walking. But it was our choose, just to try the experience to climb the hill by ourself. Funny, hot funny!  Monte Alban is one of the most important atchological site in Mexico.The city was one of the first in the Mayan area and on of the most important political center in the Zapotec region for more than thousand years. Monte Alban is made of several platforms, almost all conected with the main square by a "collection" of stairs.

We spent last night in Oaxaca with a very strage sensation inside. You feel at home, and is always hard to leave home if you feel good! We need and deserve something of special. So somebodey suggests us to have a wonderful dinner to La Naranja, considered one of the best restaurants in Mexico.

Time to go...
I don't know about other restaurants, but a La Naranja we had a wonderful dinner, one of the best in my life I think. We had, after appetizers, a plate of meat cooked in chocolate for 24 hours. Divine!

Enough, enough, enougg! You know what you feel when you spend one minute more with a wonderful girl, or man? Everything risks to be destroyed. So, friends, we have to move now! Tomorrow morning!

Mexico is waiting!

Light and shadow
Light and shadow
Oaxaca Hotels & Accommodations review
Mexican
Hostel de la Noria in Oaxaca was my first mexican hotel, I mean an hotel not belonging to some interantional chains, and I was happy to stay in there.… read entire review
Oaxaca