Mexico-February 2007

Acapulco Travel Blog

HRC Mexico City

This trip was to visit friends who live in a suburb of Mexico City called Tlalnepantla.

We drove from Indy to Fort Wayne on February 1 in order to catch a flight to Detroit.  The flights from Indy were looking close and we did not want to chance it.   We flew a Northwest Airlink CRJ-200 aircraft up to Detroit and took a Northwest Airbus 319 down to Mexico City.   Those flights were, as we say in the industry, wide open.  It was real turbulent on approach to MEX, as it usually is due to the mountains all around.   We arrived into MEX in the early afternoon and went to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe.

El Angel
  Later, we strolled around Chapultepec Park, which my daughter loved!   We also went to the El Angel Column.  We picked up some water and obleas and then headed for the hills of Tlalnepantla for some much needed sleep.

On February 2, we drove to Acapulco, with quick stops in Cuernavaca and Chilpancingo.   Our friends have a vacation home in Acapulco, overlooking the sea.   The drive was long and hot, but we arrived there in the early evening and went to eat at a local seafood restaurant called Buzo's.  I had the camarones al mojo de ajo(garlic shrimp) and many Tecates.  After dinner, we drove up to La Quebrada to watch the cliff divers.

Mexico City
  It was really cool to watch!  There is a small fee but you get a beer so I was happy.   We drove to a little ocean viewing area that has a statue of a mermaid(La Sirena) and stayed there for about an hour.   We then purchased some water and snacks for the house and went there to sleep.

February 3-  We awoke early and went to the beach at the Hyatt Hotel.   You can pay $10 or so and use the facilities there all day and they include chair, umbrella, and towel rental.   My family stayed by the pool mostly but I was in the ocean most of the day with our friends.   We had lunch at the Hyatt which was just average.   I snuck away for about a half hour to go to the Hard Rock Cafe for my usual souvenir pin.  After dark, we headed back to the house, stopping along the way for some food from Pollo Feliz(happy chicken).

On the drive to Acapulco
  We also bought some tacos al pastor and beer.   We just hung out on the house patio for a few hours talking before going to sleep.

February 4-  We left Acapulco this day and went back to Tlalnepantla.   On this day, I was glued to the tube for the Colts game(ok, the Bears played too).   A few of us watched the Super Bowl at the house while eating some Domino's Pizza.   The right team won of course so I was happy!   We went to sleep, ready for the trip back home the next day.

February 5-  We headed to MEX airport at about noon.   We rode a Northwest Airbus 319 back up to Detroit and were seated up front this time.   It was my daughters first time in first class and she was real excited!  This flight was smooth and we ate good too.   We arrived into DTW and caught an Airlink CRJ-200 to Fort Wayne.   We then drove the two hours back home to Indy.   The temperature was below zero and there was some light snowfall.  It was hard to deal with after being in shorts and a t-shirt the past few days.

Our friends have invited us back so it looks like another Mexico trip is coming soon!

Highway 95 to Acapulco
Cruise ship terminal
Pacific Ocean
Pacific Ocean
Acapulco
Welcome back to Mexico City!
Welcome back to Mexico City!