One week in Scotland.

Aberfoyle Travel Blog

Full Scottish Breakfast...
Actually we were lucky during this week in Scotland.
First of all, it was the beginning of May, so we didn't have any problems with insects.
Then I must admit that even locals used to say, that the weather was wonderful for the period of time. :) By the way, it was interesting to see, how the weather was changet from misty and rainy, to sunny with clear sky and back for several times per day. Anyway, I got enough of the sun (my flecks of sunlight can be a proof). :-)

The location for this holiday was chosen carefully. Everyone had lots of demands for the place, so we found a cottage in Aberfoyle - a small village in the region of Stirling.
Lovely cottge...:-D
First of all, it is possible to find what to do there even without a car, local shop is very close, there are two pubs where we could walk, there are a lot of nice walking pathes (an biking as well), it is not far from Stirling (about 15 miles) and Glasgow (about 27 miles). Loch Lomond is not far, Loch Katrine, Loch Venachar, Loch Ard are quite close as well (there are much more lochs around, actually).
And the cottage was nice as well... very small but cozy... untill the moment we read some information in a cottage reference book. The only thing which helped us - was the sense of humour. After all there are  not a lot of people who can say that they spend a beautiful week in ex public convineniences place. ;-)

By the way, there is a legend connected with Aberfoyle. This village was a place, where Reverend Robert Kirk lived.
Aberfoyle
They say that Kirk was the first man who translated the Book of Psalms into gaelic. But at the same time he was the author of a very curious book "The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies" (1691). He believed that the Doon Hill not far from Aberfoyle was the entrance into the kingdom of the Fairies. By the way Reverend was found dead on this hill, so locals decided that he was token by the Fairies as a revenge for the revealing of their secrets to humans. I don't know if it is true or not, but there is a tradition of the Doon Hill. You can write your wish on a piece of white cloth, tie it to a tree on the top of the hill, and if the Fairies will like it, they can make your wish to become true. So all the trees on the top of the Doon Hill are cowered with defferent colours ribbons, toys, dolls...

What I really liked was Achray Forest with its "Three Lochs Forest Drive" - 7,5 miles of winding forest road.
Loch Lomond
There are a lot of fantastic views could be found there with three lochs: Loch Reoidhte, Loch Drunkie and Loch Venachar. Also there are plenty of special places where you can have a picknic or BBQ, or gow fishing (with special licenses for each loch).

And before driving anywhere it was a lovely experience to have Big Scottish Breakfast in "Kilmahog Woolen Mills"... I loved it, even though now I need to keep my diet. :-D

There is a very nice driving route from Aberfoyle to Inversnaid (Loch Lomond). I had a feeling that everything around was surreal. But I guess it depends on the weather. Inversnaid is interesting for the Falls of Inversnad, amazinf Rob Roy's View (by the way, we've found one more view point, and it was even better than an official one, but not so easy to get there after the rain) and, of course, Rob Roy's Cave... That was impressive. I would never find it if not the sign on the stones made by the white paint - "CAVE"... That was worthy of the journey. :-D

Anyway my dream to see Scotland became true. And I'm happy.
I definitely will go there one more time.

350 km (217 miles) traveled