Camden Market and

London Travel Blog

Camden Town

My Australian friend Christine was in London. She had come to Europe and was spending some time in England. I could´t think of a better place to meet than London. I had an early flight from Oslo and arrived London Heathrow Airport around 10 am., hopped on the tube and was in central London 50 minutes later. Since I was not meeting Christine until 1 pm. I went to my hotel in Golders Green, which turned out to be a bit out of the way. I had decided on this trip last minute, so to find an affordable place to stay was not easy. I found King Solomon Hotel on Booking.com. When I arrived the hotel around noon their computer system was down so I could not check in.

Camden Town
I left my bag and set of for Camden Town where I was going to meet Christine. I hadn´t seen her in 13 months so I was very excited.

At 1 pm I was waiting at Camden Town Tube station. Suddenly I heard someone call "Sarah". It was Christine. Last time I saw her was in Damascus in April 2009. How nice to meet again. We walked down Camden High Street and found a nice little café where we sat down and had an ice coffee. We had a lot of catching up to do. After about an hour it was time to continue. After all we had come to Camden to enjoy the colourful Saturday market. And colourful it was. Such a contrast to the posh Knightbridge and South Kensington area. Camden Market used to be a working-class Irish and Greek market just two decades ago, but is now a major tourist attraction.
Camden Town

In 1989 I took the London water taxi from Little Venice to Camden Lock, but we never visited the Camden Market. Now it was time to explore it. And what better companion could I have than Christine. She is a pro and knows all the good markets in London. There are several markets in Camden; the Camden Market, the Camden Lock Village Market and the Camden Lock Market with the old stables and the old horse hospital. It´s impossible to cover all of them in one day, so we went for the latter.

Camden Lock Market is a lively street market on Saturday and Sundays. It is in a charming canalside setting and offers everything from clothes, crafts to antiques. It´s a punky market with something for everyone. There are quite a few tattoo places to choose from if you´d like to have one made.
Camden Town

After an exciting day at Camden Market we had a quick bite to eat. I had to go back to my hotel to check in before we could set of for the days last event. Being in London I just had to visit the theatre. Tonight´s choice was decided by which tickets they had at the Half price ticket booth at Leicester Square. The decision was "The 39 Steps". I had heard of "The 39 Steps", but did not know much about it. The story follows Richard Hannay, a bored London gentleman whose life suddenly becomes infinitely more interesting when a woman is murdered in his apartment. Who is she? Why did she take refuge with him? And what are the mysterious 39 Steps? Since the story contained a murder and the 1935 film was made by Alfred Hitchcock I though it was a thriller, therefore I was a bit surprised when I arrived at the theatre and realized that it was a comedy. The actors were doing a fantastic job. It was only four of them and they played the parts of at least four times that number. Very well done. I found the play in itself quite boring. The man, an American, sitting next to me said that the book is very different from the film and that the film is very different from the play. He also praised the actor, but said nothing about the play. I guess I have to read the book.

peeyushmalhotra says:
Everything is so artistic in Camden, I haven't read the blog but pictures itself are self explanatory.. Like the art each shop has, each bench, each wall was speaking artistically... Liked your pics of Picaddily too .. Have you been to Mayfair, my friend told me its the best place to be... by the way thanks for sharing such nice pics on TB
Posted on: May 29, 2011
A cool café
A cool café
The iron shop
The iron shop
Cooling off in the heat
Cooling off in the heat
Camden Lock Market
Wander what´s behind this door?
Wander what´s behind this door?
The hammock vendor
Another secret door
Another secret door
Shops in the old stables
Shops in the old stables
All packed and ready to travel!
All packed and ready to travel!
The tin sign shop
The tin sign shop
A mosaic bench
A mosaic bench
The angle on Piccadilly Circus
The angle on Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
Criterion Theatre and the 39 step…
Criterion Theatre and "the 39 ste…
The theatre bar
The theatre bar
The chandelier
The chandelier
London Hotels & Accommodations review
A fire trap
King Solomon Hotel is located in the Jewish Quarter in Golders Green. From Golders Green tube station it´s a 10 minutes walk to the hotel. When I… read entire review
London