Yet an afternoon in Granada

Granada Travel Blog

Tired after a long day

After our quite long and wonderful trip to the volcanoes and Masaya we were back in Granada in the early afternoon. We had been up pretty early, as we had been picked up at our hotel already at 7:15 am. The trip had been we worth the money and we both felt enriched by the experience we had gone through duing the day. As usual when you travel with Tierra Tours they let you off at their office, which is located in Calle La Calzada. Calle La Calzada is one of the streets in Granada with the most cafés and restaurants.

We started by looking for the restaurant that we had picked out in our books as the one for our last evening in Granada. Given the reviews and the feedback in the books that we had brought along, we wanted to find the Dona Cochi that was supposed to be one of the better restaurants in Granada.

The Cathedral
It turned out that they had moved from Calle El Caimoto, which was the address given to us from our Lonely Planet to another place very close to our hotel El Club.

After this bombshell of a discovery we then walked towards the Parque Central and went into the Euro Café, where they serve a wonderful large variety of different coffee options. The place is quite cool and really relaxing; it is one of these places where tourists meet up attracted by all the nice reviews about the place, so even given the fact that there are few tourists in the city this is where you meet them.

The open courtyard is really something special; there is a nice green area surrounded by terrace with nice tables and paintings on the walls. Their coffee is really tasty and I tested a lot of them during our stay there.

Next to Parque Central
It was quite funny that we hadn’t seen that many tourists in Granada while walking the streets but I guess most of them visited this place during the afternoon in order to check their emails or just looking in some of the may travel books that were in the cafes library.

We went back to the hotel in order to have a break or a quick nap before we would have our “apero” in the hotel. Babs went up to her room while I stayed in the bar for a couple of beers looking at the activities there. They were still planning the coming 3 days that apparently were the busiest in the week for the place. I enjoyed following the planning and the enthusiasm and effort that they put into it. I left and went up for a shower and a look-see in some of my books in order to see what the coming days in on Ometepe would bring me.

Next to Parque Central

Babs and I met up in the bar an hour and a half later for our “apero” before we ended the evening at Dona Conchi. The entrance of the restaurant was quite easy to miss if we had not done our homework during the daylight. The entrance didn’t look like the entrance to a place that wanted to give a culinary experience. It was only the handmade sign in front of the door indicating that there is a good restaurant. The atmosphere was casual, exotic and almost Caribbean. Next to us a local guy played guitar and was singing Spanish songs; he even tried some with English lyrics but this didn’t go too well.

It turned out that the waiters were not the fastest in the world and I am sure they forgot our order because from the time we had our sweet sangria to the entry of shrimps it took more than an hour.

Chokk says:
Thank you - I had also a great time there :)
Posted on: Dec 05, 2013
Cho says:
I enjoyed reading this blog. Looking at your photos brought back wonderful memories of our own trip to Granada last May. We spent a lot of time in and around Parque Central. Great city of culture and sights!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2013
Colourful
Colourful
Granada Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Good but not best
The Doña Conchi is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Granada; we tried to find it at the address given in Lonely Planet but it turned out… read entire review
Granada Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A hip place
Just next to the Parque Central in Granada you can find the nice Euro Café where they serve a wonderful large variety of different coffee options. … read entire review
Granada