Taking off in Brussels

Zaventem Travel Blog

In the beginning there were no one

Finally it was time to leave to Nicaragua from the airport in Brussels. I arrived at around 8 am in order to be sure I had time to find a place to park my car in the airport. I had checked the homepage of Brussels airport and they had an offer where you could stay for 14 days for under 100 euro which I found fair.

Luckily the car park was not crowded but I could see it had been some days earlier; there were cars parked in strange places; some looked like they had been thrown in when the neighbouring car had been picked up. It looked kind of funny.

When I entered the airport it struck me that all transatlantic flights were delayed; ours were delayed from 10.

Getting something to read in the plane
30 to 11.55 am. Babs came soon after; it was nice to see her again; it had been some month since the last time I had been in Belgium.

We checked in and it went pretty well; the delay was due to the Icelandic volcano plume and there was only one small corridor open across the Atlantic Ocean. We managed to have our luggage checked in to the final destination in Nicaragua. We had scheduled a 4 hours stay in Atlanta before we had to board our final flight to Managua and we had already sold out almost half of that time.

We waited at the gate like everybody else, since all the transatlantic flights were influenced. All the drinks and food stands were packed with people having thirst and hunger. One delay after the other was announced and finally at 1.20 pm we were allowed to board the plane.

After yet some postponement we were allowed to take off a bit after 2 pm and our chances for reaching the connection flight vanished after the first message from the captain. Due to the plume we had to fly over the northern part of Iceland and quite high up over Greenland before heading down to Atlanta, Georgia. This would mean that we would have to stay 12 hours in the air, and we would land 1 hour after our scheduled flight to Managua.
Africancrab says:
Congratulations, great blog as always.
Posted on: May 29, 2010
tacco14 says:
Congrats on your featured blog! I enjoyed reading this blog. Thanks for sharing :D
Posted on: May 27, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured, Christian! Very well done again!
Posted on: May 27, 2010
In the beginning there were no one
Getting something to read in the p…
Getting something to read in the …
Here the queuing starts