Getting ready for a drive on Ometepe

Moyogalpa Travel Blog

Into another hotel

I was a bit excited to see the condition of roads on Ometepe; one irritating guy at the ticket office where we bought the tickets for the ferry told us at there were huge rocks and stones shattered all over the roads and since we abandoned the 4x4 due to the fact that we could not lock in our luggage, we had settled with small Toyota Yaris. Our little Yaris which was a good car but far from a 4x4, did not have the highest span between the car and the ground and I hate the sound it makes when you hit the ground while you are driving.

We started the day by walking around in the city of Moyogalpa trying finding a place to have breakfast. We went in one place; it was actually a hotel also where I managed to get a tasteless cup of coffee and a plate of fruit which were not good.

My friend
The waiter or probably the owner was more interested in watching a sitcom from Brazil than serve us. We decided to leave and go to Hotel Ometepetl where we had eaten the day before; at least we knew that they could make some great food.

At the Hotel I ordered an omelette that turned out to be divine and a mango juice that was fresh and tasty; it was pure pleasure to sit there and having some great food and having a small crazy parrot looking at your every move. We spend the time at the breakfast table checking the Lonely Planet for sights on the island and soon after we were ready to leave for our little trip. The plan was to follow the southern road round Concepcion and the drive towards Altagracia and finally Playa Santo Domingo.

I was driving carefully in the Yaris and had a good eye to all the bumps and water drain cannels that were giving holes in the roads. Otherwise the road was in perfect condition all the way to Altagracia on the other side on the island.

Chokk says:
Det var nu ikke aå dyrt og vejene var generelt meget bedre end jeg havde ventet
Posted on: Jan 25, 2011
Stigen says:
Ikke noe dum ide å leie bil.... bussen var veldig upålitelig..
Posted on: Jan 25, 2011
Chokk says:
You should put it on the list:)
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
Now it cant move
Now it can't move
Moyogalpa Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A hippie paradise
The Hospedaja Central is a backpacker centre in hippie style. It has a good location in the city; a little bit uphill but close to the harbour. Inside… read entire review
Moyogalpa Hotels & Accommodations review
Simple and clean
We arrived on Ometepe after 1 hour of sailing on Ferry El Che Guevara. We had not booked any hotel room so we were back to the findings of Lonely Plan… read entire review
Moyogalpa Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The restaurant at Hotel Ometepetl
We didn’t stay at the Hotel Ometepetl but we had our dinner there one evening and it became also one of the favourite spots for having breakfast as … read entire review
Moyogalpa