Arriving in Matagalpa - something else

Matagalpa Travel Blog

The view from my room

We were out looking for a place to stay a couple of night in Matagalpa and following the Lonely Planet we finally found a small hotel that was located next to a pharmacy. It turned out that the pharmacy was a part of the owners business, as they both were running a hotel as well. The place was very cheap but it was not the best quality we managed to get two rooms and mine was on the top floor. The building looked like it had been build-on’ after build-on’ and most of it built with dodgy materials. I was honestly quite worried walking on some of the stairs given the fact that I am not a small guy.

The rooms had not the best cleaning and the walls and doors were built with quiet questionable building material.

The San José Church near Parque Ruben Dario
But when all this is said then owners were really nice. It turned out that they many years ago had studied in Europe and even in Denmark. My travel companion had gotten a strange bite on her and they were really nice towards her and help cleaning the bite and made sure that she got the right medicine.

Getting in to the hotel you had to pass a quite dim hallway takes you from the street to a small lobby that was a part of the owners home. My thoughts were that this was a part of the original house and everything after that was add on’ to the original house. The hallway had sofas where the owners were sitting and there were family photos everywhere and we got entertained with stories about the family members.

Rooms vary in size and light quality, with the best options at the back, as they are away from the busy street and afford a view of the mountains. I was quite happy about the fact that I had a view out the back. The hotel had no hot water, which is something that I really hate and especially when it was cold like it was in Matagalpa. The hotel doesn’t serve breakfast but don’t mind that because there are some nice breakfast restaurants down the Avenida Escobar near the town center – I really liked the breakfast at Rincón don Chato.

The owners recommended that we parked our rental around the corner at an auto shop and so we did – and it was both cheap and without any problems.

The view from my room
The San José Church near Parque R…
The San José Church near Parque …
Green stuff
Green stuff
Yams
Yams
Matagalpa Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A super place to eat
When visiting the mountain area of Nicaragua and specifically Matagalpa I can certainly recommend the restaurant Casa Grande. The area is famous for i… read entire review
Matagalpa Hotels & Accommodations review
Small and cheap family hotel
Matagalpa