The Canal and the Cafe

Panama City Travel Blog

Energy Conqueror transiting the Canal

This was one of those trips in which very little planning was involved.  I had been looking at the American Airlines flights to Panama and saw that they were open and decided to go.

Wednesday July 13

I left Indy at 1pm on an American Eagle EMB-145 to Miami and then took an American 757 to Panama City.  I arrived in Panama that evening and took a taxi to the city.  It took about 30 minutes to get there on the modern toll road.   It was raining real hard with lightning and thunder.  I love those kind of storms!    It was about 9pm, so I just went to sleep.

I stayed at the Hotel Roma Plaza for $35 a night and enjoyed the stay.

Bridge of the Americas
  It was conveniently located with a friendly staff and the rooms were nice and clean.  It also had ice cold air conditioning which is perfect for Panama in July.  The hotel had a restaurant but I only ate breakfast there and it was decent.   It also had a roof top swimming pool which I did use once.

Thursday July 14

I awoke at 7am and had some breakfast downstairs.  I met up with a taxi driver outside the hotel who shuttled me around the city all day for $40.   The first place he took me was the Panama Canal.   I thought the visitors center was really fascinating.   Besides the thrill of watching huge ships transit the canal, it was neat to learn about the construction of the canal.  I stayed there for probably 2 hours and could have stayed longer but I did not want to miss out on other things in the city.

Skyline
  Next, he drove me across the Bridge of The Americas to a point where I could get some good views of the bridge itself and some other prts of the area.  Close to noon, we went to the Casco Viejo and I walked around and also visited the Cathedral.   The driver dropped me off at the Multicentro Mall, where I visited another Hard Rock Cafe and did some city exploration.   I walked back to the Hotel Roma later that evening and went to sleep at about 1am.

Friday July 15

I awoke at 5am, got ready and headed out to Tocumen Airport for the American flight to Miami.   I had over 7 hours in Miami, so I took the Tri-Rail up to Fort Lauderdale for a short trip.  At about 10pm, I was back in Indianapolis.

Another Hard Rock visit and crazy weekend trip done!   I would love to go back.

Marjan-k says:
very nice, now I wanna go :)
Posted on: Nov 23, 2011
Stigen says:
nice to be getting cheap/free flights! I would`nt have minded one bit!
Posted on: Oct 16, 2009
sybil says:
that's a crazy spontaneous trip.
Posted on: Mar 14, 2008
Energy Conqueror transiting the Ca…
Energy Conqueror transiting the C…
Ship transiting canal