Part 3 of 3 of my Fall Break. Portugal

Lisbon Travel Blog

Ok, I love Lisbon and someday I would love to come back. As far as I can tell, there are not a whole lot of historical sights. What I really liked about it is that it was not crowded. There are not many tourists. I don’t think many people know about Lisbon. There is one big bridge that looks almost exactly like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

On our first day in Lisbon we did a lot of walking.

Lisbon castle
There is a very nice area around where we are staying. It is mostly shopping. I did not buy a lot, but it is nice to just stroll around the city. We had a nice lunch and just sat there for a while talking. The weather was perfect. It was bright and sunny out with a nice cool breeze.

After we finished our shopping we went to this grocery store and bought some snacks. We took them back to our room, took about an hour nap then ate our snacks. By this time it was about 11pm and we got ready to go out to a club. We had a nice (current) guide book and we picked a club out of there. We got there a little after 11 and the place was still not open. There were some people who worked there waiting out front. They were really nice to us and told us to come back around 1am because that is when people start to show up. One of them even directed us to another bar where we could hang out until it was time to come back.

So we climbed up this huge hill. We found a couple bars, but they all looked a little sketchy. There were some weird people in them so we decided not to stop there. We came to this area where there were a lot of benches and it had the most spectacular view. We were a lot of benches and it had the most spectacular view. We were up on this huge hill and so we looked out over the entire city. It was beautiful, with all the city lights and bridge (the one that looks like the Golden Gate Bridge) was lit up as well. All the benches were filled, so we just sat on the ground against the fence for about ½ hour. I think the only reason we moved was because Paul discovered that there were ants all over the ground and they were crawling on us. So we found an empty bench and sat there for a few more minutes.

We just thought this was pretty funny
Around 12:30 we headed back to the club.

The club was pretty darn boring. They told us that it would pick up around 1, so we stayed until then. It did pick up, but everyone there was over 40 and they were horrible dancers. So we left.

The next day we mostly just walked around. We shopped in all the little souvenir shops. Lisbon is also known for its ceramics. They have some of the most beautiful things.

We were walking down this one street and this clothing shop looked like it was having a party. There was a red carpet and balloons and music blasting out the front door. So we thought we would go check it out.

The entrance to the main part of the city
As we walked in the door these cheerleader type people handed us roses. There was music and free drinks. The store was not all that great, but I liked the rose. Now, I told you that story so that I could tell you this one. We walked into this mall and right on the inside was this booth (I think it was a real estate, or a bank booth), and there was a man and a woman working there. I had my rose sticking out of my bag and the man came over to me and started talking. I don’t speak Portuguese, so I had no idea what he was saying. He kept pointing at my flower. I figured he was trying to tell me I couldn’t have it in there or something, though I have no idea why that would be. I took the flower out of my bag and he took it right out of my hand and walked away. I couldn’t believe it. Then he puts it in a little vase on the booth and continues on with his work. I have no idea where that came from. I was flabbergasted. So we wandered the mall for about 20 minutes and then left. On the way out I was basically glaring at the guy. He looks over, smiles at me, points at the flower then gives me two thumbs up. I wanted to hit him and take my flower back. My friends were pretty much pushing me out the door. I still want my flower back.

We did some more wandering around the city. In the evening we decided to go to this place called Freeport. We read about it in the Hotel city guide. It said that at Freeport there was great shopping, wonderful restaurants, and many clubs. It was basically and outlet mall. The shopping was not that great, the restaurants were mall food, and we did not see any clubs. So we went back into the city after a while and went to the Hard Rock Café for dinner. It was a nice one. The best part was when the YMCA came on service stopped, the bartenders got up on the bar, and the other workers got up on platforms and danced the whole time. It was great. I would work at the Hard Rock just to do the YMCA.

We went to bed early because we had an early flight the next day. Now we are on our way back to school, and I am realizing that I have classes tomorrow. It is really weird to think about, and I really don’t want to go. Now I am also realizing I only have 6 weeks of school left. It is a strange thought. It is all going by so fast.

Lisbon castle
We just thought this was pretty fu…
We just thought this was pretty f…
The entrance to the main part of t…
The entrance to the main part of …
photo by: Johnpro