Part 2 of 3 my Fall Break, Spain

Barcelona Travel Blog

The Gaudi House

So far I love Barcelona. I am not exactly sure what all there is to do here, but the atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming. We go in yesterday around noon, grabbed a quick bite to eat at McDonalds, and then we spent some time looking for our hostel. I think we are done with hostels, we just can not do them anymore, but I will get back to that in a little while. After we put all our stuff in the room, (with the hope that it would actually be there when we got back) we went to this café that the lady at the hostel recommended for its hot chocolate. It was amazing. Basically they just took a hunk of chocolate melted it and put it in a mug. It was like drinking a chocolate bar.

The Gaudi House
It was really good, but I can’t eat a bar of chocolate unless it has something else in it. I guess I am just weird that way. I only drank about half of it.

Then we walked around for a while trying to find a hotel, but everything in the city is completely booked. It started to rain really hard so we went into an internet café, and spent about an hour looking for a good inexpensive hotel. Luckily did find one, but it is not exactly in the city. We booked it though. We did have to stay one night in the hostel. Everything just seemed really dirt and there were only two toilets in the entire place and every room was full. People left their stuff in the showers and they used those rough blankets that hair clings too easily. I did not even bother to unfold mine and see what it looked like.

I don't know what this building was, but it was pretty
We all decided to sleep in our closes so that we would not get our pajamas dirty. The other two in our group got to the hostel just after midnight. I think this was the worst night of sleep I have ever had. I woke up about 20 times that night. One of those times was to see this girls butt. She was leaving and so changing and I looked up when I heard a noise and there was her bare butt. It was gross. I hate that place. I am glad we left.

We were out of the hostel at 9:30 in the same clothes we slept in and wore all the day before. We went straight to the Starbucks that we found the night before. We took all of our luggage with us. After we finished our drink we got a taxi and headed to the hotel. It took a really long time to get there and we ended up paying 30 Euros for the ride. We thought something was weird about that because on the website it said the hotel was only 4 miles from the city center.

There were Palm trees everywhere. They were beautiful
We asked the receptionist how much it usually costs to get to the city center by taxi and he said it should be no more than 15 euros. So now we know and we won’t let that happen again.

Now we are in our room. It is almost exactly like the Holiday Inn. It is very nice and very comfortable. I took a 20 minute shower and felt so much better afterward. The only problem was that I could not take a very hot shower because the hot water makes my bites itch really bad.

Yesterday was a really great day.

A really cool bridge
After our wonderful showers and a quick nap we met up with Chris (who is staying at the hostel, thank goodness). Our other person Jeanine left for Madrid to visit with a friend who is studying there. Ok, let me tell you a little bit about Chris. None of us like him. He is very socially awkward and says the meanest things without realizing they are mean. In Dijon he made Amy cry. He also has the biggest eyes you have ever seen and they stick really far out of his head. The color part of his eyes is really small and so there is all this white there. Then I think it is physically impossible for him to close his mouth. It just hangs open. I am pretty sure that you have seen a picture of him if you are looking at my photo albums. I know it is bad to talk mean about people, but it is really hard to be around him. Luckily he has not said anything mean on this trip yet, but that could be because he has not said more than a few sentences.
First glimps of the ocean.
All he does is stare at us. You all know how it is, if you are looking at someone and then they look back at you all of a sudden and you turn your head away real fast so that they might not catch you staring? Well, he does not even do this, he just keeps staring. He does not even acknowledge you by smiling or something, he just keeps staring.

Anyway, despite the fact that he was following us around all day we had a very good time. We met him around 2:30 and spent the rest of the day shopping. Barcelona is full of name brand shops. Don’t worry, I did not spend a lot of money, but we had a really good time wandering around. I love wandering. Around 8:30 we decided to get dinner. In Amy’s 2004 Barcelona guide book that she borrowed from the hostel told us about this place that serves Tapas.

The beach...great place
Tapas are, I guess, Bite size things. I honestly don’t know what they are, but they are a typical Spanish food. We got to this place and I must say I was surprised it was till there since her guide book is 2 years old. What the book did not tell us was that there was no place to sit. It was crowded but everyone was standing up around tall tables. So we went back to the city center and had dinner at the Hard Rock Café. It was a very good dinner. But we did not get out of there until around 11pm.

So we went back to the hotel. We found that next to the hotel there is a tram line that connects to the Metro that goes into the city center. We decided to go to a club. Of course this club was in the old guide book. That is how we decided where to go. So we got dressed, and found a taxi that did not rip us off. We showed him what street we wanted, he looked at us funny, and then took us there. The street looked like the kind of place where gangs hang out. We walked up and down the street twice and did not find the place. Now we understand what the funny look was about. So we got into another taxi and went back to the hotel and went to bed.

Today we got up and met Chris at Starbucks. Then because we were starving we stopped next door at Subway. I love Subway. I am getting pretty sick of baguette sandwiches, so Subway was wonderful. Our plan for the day was to go to the beach, so after food we made our way over there. It was actually a really long walk. It was nice though because the walk there was lined with little markets and souvenir shops. We kind of just strolled through it looking at everything. There were also about a million people selling fake bags and sunglasses. They were also selling pirated DVDs.

The beach was wonderful. It was a little cold though. The sun felt great, but the wind was coming right off the water, and it was very cold. We ended up only staying for about 2 hours. Usually I could spend the whole day on the beach, but it was just too cold. If I had more clothes on I could have stayed.

So, we walked back the way we came and actually poked around in the shops for a little bit. I got my soccer jersey. For those of you who don’t know, I am collecting soccer jerseys from every country I go to. I still did not get an Italy one though. The first time I was in Italy I got a Portugal soccer jersey, so hopefully while I am in Portugal I can get an Italian one.

After we finished shopping we went out to dinner at a Tapas place. Tapas are Spain’s national food. It is basically seven or eight appetizers given to you as a meal. It is a lot of food. Amy and I got a 2 person portion, but it easily fed the 4 of us. We even had leftovers. I also got pasta though because the Tapas we got were mainly vegetables. Yes, I did try a little bit of everything, and no, I still do not like vegetables.

After dinner we thought about going to a club, but we are all still tired. I don’t know what the matter with us is. I don’t think anyone in our group are partiers. I also think we just need one night of a long, good, uninterrupted sleep. Not partying is fine with me though. So we just went back to the hotel, packed our things, and went to sleep.

I like Barcelona because it is very laid back and relaxed. It is easy to have a great time without doing much of anything. I would defiantly come back.
The Gaudi House
I dont know what this building wa…
I don't know what this building w…
There were Palm trees everywhere. …
There were Palm trees everywhere.…
Barcelona