Nazca lines and cemetary of Chauchila

Nazca Travel Blog

I woke up and had my "american breakfast" (rolls, butter and eggs), and at 8am my driver picked me up and drove to the little airport. I did not have to wait in line at all. The women that was taking me to the plane got the airport tax which was 20soles, went first in line a paid, then got me straight on to an airplane. It is the smallest plane I have been in; 6 seats all together, so we were just four passengers. There were two pilots because a few months ago a plane crashed because the pilot had a heart attack, so now they are taking precautions and having two pilots.

The flight was absolutely amazing. I had heard that it was not easy to see the lines, but I saw them perfectly clear. The scenery from the plane was also amazing! The other passangers felt a little sick because the plane is very small and keeps turning so that we could get a better look at the lines, but I didn't feel bad at all.

In the taxi on my way back I met some girls and we decided to meet up for lunch later. We met at the mail square and had lunch at a restaurant right next to it. There I learned something that was very good for the rest of my trip. In Peru you can order a set menu, which means that you get soup, main course and a drink (sometimes dessert) for a set price. Here it was 6soles ($3), so you get a good meal for a cheap price. In the bigger cities it is usually a little bit more expensive, but still better than eating the tourist menu.

I walked around in the city, but it didn't take that long since the city is very small, but I went and bought my ticket to Arequipa for tonight.

I asked about 4 different bus companies and they wanted everything from 50-125soles for the ticket. It is an overnight bus, and I was not very picky about the standard, so I decided to go with Flores for 50soles, the cheapest option.

I came back to the hostel and tried to figure out what to do the rest of the day when one of the guys that worked there said that I could join a tour to the cemetary of Chauchila. I didn't know what it was and it didn't sound that interesting with a cemetery. He said it was 35soles, but I could get it for 30 since the guide didn't speak English. I thought about it and since I didn't have anything else to do, I decided to join and got it for 25soles (always bargain...haha!). They came and picked me up from the hostel at 3pm. The guide was driving a regular car and there were three other very nice people in it.

On the way we stopped by a graveyard which is not really common, but we asked to stop to take some pictures and the guide was more than happy to.

Chauchila cemetery was really cool and I was really happy I went. There were mummies, skulls and bones. The guide told us a little history and some info in the beginning and then we could walk around by ourselves. They had some cheap souvenirs so I bought a "silver" bracelet which I really liked. Then it was about time to head back. The guy who sold the souvenirs asked to get a ride, but since we did not have any room in the car, he jumped into the trunk!! He laid in the trunk all the way back to the city which was about 30-40minutes and the roads were not the best. We kept forgetting that he was in the trunk and everytime we thought of it we just had to laugh.

When I got back to the hostel it was time to leave for the bus. It took me about 10 minutes to walk to the bus station (as I said, the town is very small) and sat on my backpack and waited. One of the guys working there came and asked where I was going, and said he would let me know when the bus was there, so I didn't have to worry. Suddenly he came running and said it was there, but then he dissapeared and I didn't understand where the bus was, but then I spotted it on the other side of the road and started my journy to Arequipa.

Tamanawas says:
WoW! What an adventure!! :)
Posted on: Jun 27, 2010