Floating Islands and homestay

Lake Titicaca Travel Blog

I got to Puno 3.30am. I waited outside for Vanessa and Bastien and they came after half an hour. We were told that we were going to be picked up at 5, so we just sat down at the bus station and waited. The time went by and no one came. After many phone calls to different people we were told that they wouldn't come until 6.30, so we just sat there and waited for a few hours.

We were finally picked up and went to the travel agency. We left our big bags at the travel agency and just brought a small daypack. After the Colca Canyon tour I brought almost nothing in case we had to carry it with us a lot,because I didn't want it to make me too tired. We went to have breakfast and the we met out group on the boat and started our tour on Lake Titicaca.

I was really excited to go to the first Island; Uros. I had heard that this was very cultural and interesting. I was so dissapointed!! All they wanted to do was to sell us stuff, and I am almost positiv they do not actually live like that. Our tour guide talked about sustainable tourism and all that, but I didn't buy it for a second!!! Luckily we only stayed there for about 45minutes and then we moved on to the next island.

We got to Amantani island (I think that was what it was called), and this was the place we were going to spend the night. Vanessa, Bastien and me were very lucky and got to stay with a really nice family who made really good food. The mother in the house was Clara, ahe was 28years old and had two young, very cute sons. Her parents also lived with them and they were all really nice.

For lunch we got a really good soup, but I can't remember what it was called, and they also eat lots of potatoes. After lunch the whole group met to walk up to the tallest mountain on the island to see the sunset. Even though we wanted to go, Vanessa and I decided to stay behind and relax a bit, because we were getting really tired from not taking a break from rushing from place to place.

When they came back we had dinner with out families and then they dressed us up in their national costume and we had a party. Local dances, music and beer, and we had a great time! :)

Lake Titicaca