Even earlier

Colca Canyon Travel Blog

I had my alarm on 2.30am and by 3am the van was there to pick me up.

We had a long drive ahead of us, it takes 5 hours to drive to Colca Canyon from Arequipa, so at least we got to relax a bit in the car.

The first stop we had was at a look out point to see condors, but unfortunately there was none there... We might be able to stop on the way back to see some then... hopefully...! :o)

After 20more minutes in the van we arrived at the place where we were going to start our hike. The guy who sold me the tour said the the hike wasn't that tough, so when our guide asked us if we wanted to do the 3-hour hike or the 7-hour one and all the others said they wanted to do the 7-hour one, I didn't argue.

We started walking. It was really hot, my backpack was heavier than it should have been, think I brought too much stuff and my camera equipment is not the lightest... There were a lot of loose rocks and I was trying to walk really fast to keep up with everyone else, but I also wanted to stop and enjoy the scenery and take some pictures, so I ended up a little behind everyone else, but it was worth because I was able to actually enjoy my time and not run the whole way.

We stopped and had lunch, I tried alpaca meat for the first time and it was really good. We continued walking and after a few more hours and after walking though a few local villages, gorgeous views and some cute kids we were finally there. There was no electricity there, but we had a cold shower and cooked a good dinner, before we all had to go to bed because we were so tired. Luckily the people in my group were very nice. There were a couple from France, a girl from England and a guy from Germany.

Colca Canyon