Early morning

Arequipa Travel Blog

I arrived very early in Arequipa, around 4am, so I got in the first cab and went straight to a hostel that I had booked the day before; Koala Hostel. I got a bed and the guy that worked there was really tired too, so he said to just check in after a few hours of sleep. I woke up again around 9 and was ready to go out and see the city, but first I wanted to book the tour I wanted to do in Colca Canyon. There was a little tour desk at the hostel so I booked the 2-day tour for 120soles (which I later found out was a very good price because one of the girls in my tour group paid 135soles).

Then I went to Santa Catalina Monastery. I had been looking forward to this after I saw a picture in LP and it looked beautiful.

It was only 5 minutes from my hostel and the entrance fee was 30 soles, no student discount.

I absolutely loved it there. The colors were so bright and the place was just beautiful. I walked around, took many pictures and I could even see the vulcanoe from the tallest place.

I met a girl who was also travelling by herself so we decided to go have lunch together. We ate at a really nice place called Mixto's restaurant which was really nice and we got a set menu for 15soles.

She was going to a museum called Juanita, which has a little history about the inka culture and is about a frozen mummie. I wasn't really going to go, but I didn't have anything else to do so I decided to join. The entrance fee was 20soles, but with student ID I got it for 5. It was students that showed us around and right when we got there the next tour started. The tour lasted one hour, we saw a movie and she told us about the artifacts that was there and the history, very interesting, and we even got to see the frozen mummie! :o)

When we were done we went to the grocery store to buy a little snack for that night and the next morning since the tour started very early, and the we parted ways.

I went back to the hostel and met two Swedish girls and one American guy who had just done the tour I was going to do, so I sat down a we talked for a while, but then I had to go to bed because the tour staed really early the next morning and I didn't want to be too tired.

Arequipa Hostels review
Koala Hostel
I stayed here one night. I arrived very early in the morning and it was no problem. They let me check in at around 4.30am and I didn't have to pay for… read entire review
photo by: halilee