Mombasa Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

2nd March 2007
After being hit by a wall of heat as I disembarked the plane, I was met by the driver, who took me through the city of Mombasa. I was so overwhelmed by the simplicity of life in the city, people walk all over the roads, sans-souci, and goats and cows roam free. It really is the craziest place I’ve ever seen, but I absolutely love it. I arrived at camp an hour or so later, where I was greeted with a coconut (oh so refreshing!), and as I meandered round the path, I was greeted by several of my fellow camp members’ shouts of ‘Rachie Baby’…goodness knows how they know about that one!?! (I’m the second Rachel here, so I’m collectively known as Rachie Baby, among various other epithets). It was really great being welcomed into the group, which consists of around 45 people…and that evening we had a toga partaaaay…who says you can’t have fun wearing a bedsheet!?!

The local village is so beautiful, I’ve walked around it several time with my camp buddies…it’s so rural, and extremely green. The children yell ‘jambo!!’ at you from all directions. Eustas, the responsible leader dude, gave me a tour of the village, and told me that it had once been a slum, so run down as a result of President Moi’s regime, which bled the plantation there dry of all its finance, so people couldn’t survive. Here, people need some kind of trade in order to maintain a level of sustainance. Camp Kenya has already changed the community so much…it’s no longer a slum for a start (don’t panic, Mum!)…the children have education, the people have trade, and a good quality of life. They are so poor, but their community spirit is great…so different to the likes of England. Such a culture shock!! I’m nicely surprised by the lack of bugs…ok s sometimes when you’re taking a shower the occasional frog jumps up the plug hole, and there are a LOT of lizards. But a part from that, it’s only the ants which are everywhere! Grr!! I’ve found the heat quite hard to get used to, but Francis, the manager, advised me to increase my uptake of water to 4 litres a day, and I feel much better. The accommodation is pretty basic, but sufficient.

10th March
SO it's been a whole week since I last posted anything on here!! So directly after my internet cafe trip, we strolled down to the beach and as this was my first excursion, my campmate Tyler covered my eyes as we approached...and when he uncovered them, I had the biggest surprise of my life!! The beach is gorgeous, reminiscent of paradise...pure white sands being lapped by a perfect azure blue ocean. After sunbathing for a while, a few of us..... (drum roll) RODE A CAMEL!! yeaa!! so exhilerating, especially as the camel stands up, I got the biggest adrenaline rush ever!! I screamed my head off at first as I thought i was going to fall off, but we had a really long ride along the beach, which was great fun. My day consisted of swimming in warm ocean nd sunbathing...whcih resulted in a very bad sunburn, which has since dissipated (thanks to the wonders of peeling). At around 4pm we headed of to another stretch of beach to the aforementioned beach bbq with children from the local orphanage, Wema. 'Wema' in kiswahili means 'goodness'...and these children really do embody this. I'd never met them prior to this occasion, but a lot of my fellow camp mates had stayed at the orphanage as part of their programme...they all ran up to us and i got so many hugs! The actual orphanage is run and was established by a Californian lady, Paula, who treats them all like her own babies. It's so shocking to hear the stories attached to the childrens lives, they've emerged from all different kinds of abuse, and the majority of them don't know when their birthday is. Despite this, they were an incredibly warm bunch of kids, and they were clearly very grateful for the stability they'd been given by Paula. So that was an inspiring day...followed by 10 more of our camp arriving back from safari!! The two Ashleighs (who i'm sharing a tent with) both hailed from N Ireland (Ashleigh Collim's father went to school with mine!! what are the odds!) ...That night we all got our gladrags opn and went to Coco Bongos and boogied the night away! Sunday was an absolute chill out, subsequent to the catastrophic burn from those vicious emanations of light....just lazed in Forty Thieves, a bohemian beach hang out.
On Monday, we participated in our first day of project work at Muhaka primary school, where I taught my first english lesson. It was testing, as a lot of the childrens' english is extremely limited, and speaking in 'mother tongue' is prohibited in all schools. So it was at times difficult to convey information, but we managed to play a lot of fun games, and teach them all about nouns...which, I'm pleased to say, went with every success! We then decided to enhance their knowledge of english, so we bent the rules slightly, took them outside and rehearsed basic english. After that, we went for lunch in a wonderful woodland clearing, where Jenny and I spent a few hours marking the students' written compositions apropos their school. Some where so good!!! One child wrote "Education is the key of my life" and one boy, Adam, wrote the following statement:
"Every car has its driver, we have our driver and this is the headmaster, Mr Mlai. And because every ship has its captain, we have our captain and this is the deputy headteacher, Mr Mwasukan . There is good teaching - they teach us about our livesand how to feed our families in the future. So school is very important for us."
Conisdering their limited english, I was amazed!!
On Tuesday we headed off to Mwaluganje which is the most secluded, tranquil and dramatically beautiful place. It's literally just rolling hills of green, and rivers, with lovely white butterflies roaming around. We stayed there until Saturday morning (today)...but we went on so many game drives (elephant spotting) which was fab!! Saw so many elephants up close and personal at 6am beside a watering hole - they were splashing around in the mud!! We spent the days building a roof out of coconut leaves (muhaka) for the gift shop, and making paper out of elephant dung!! Evenings were spent around the camp fire, with hot chocolate, gazing at the stars and relaxing to the simple sounds of elephants reverberating in the valleys.
This country never fails to amaze me with its little offerings from Mother Nature!! heheh!!
Hope everyone is having a good time back in England. I'm off for a tour around Mombasa tomorrow, Safari on tuesday!!! But for now, the beach awaits!!

17th March
Well, again, this will be a bit of a monster!! Had a jam-packed week!! Saturday was Tori's birthday (my tentmate) so after a day on the beach we headed back to camp for a bit of a party, had meatballs for dinner (our favourite meal here!!) followed by mango and oranges, then chocolate birthday cake!!! We were all having such a nice evening as we sat in the mangroves enjoying the party spirit, when we were all handed cocktails with various exotic fruits and juices! Was utterly scrumptious :D We went out to Coco Bongo's and had a wail of a time...there were African dancers there especially for the birthday celebrations, although they were a bit strange, one man was just demonstrating how supple he is. Sunday was our cultural excursion around Mombasa, where we firstly went around the old town, lots of raffish buildings oozing antiquity (haha) , and had a distinct arabic feel to it. It was so HOT, but even that didn't stop me from doing plenty of shopping!! A few carvings, some 'kenyan gold'...malachite beads, and a few sarongs. AT lunch, I amused myaself wit the 'varied' sights of the city....I've never seen a place like it!! Makeshift wooden carts holding every tropical fruit imaginable just perched on the sides of the road, with cows, goats and people roaming in the middle of the road. We then headed to 'Haller Park', a nature reserve, which was great...all the animals were roaming free in the wooded enclaves whilst we meandered down the path past babbling brooks and underneath a canopy of foliage. A crocodile was a metre away from me....there was a fence between us, thankfully, but very scary!! We saw hippos in and out of the water, they are chubby, adorable things!! I fed a giraffe as well, which sounds nice, but it in fact slobbered all over my hand!! hahah!! Had to call upon some abby wipes!! I then spent the evening handwashing my clothing....took hours, but we sang plenty of songs to keep us amused!!
On Monday I had a day of project work at Makongeni, during which we dug a trench for a wall to surround the school, and in the afternoon I painted furniture to go into the Staff quarters. A rather tiring day, as the morning sun took a lot out of us! On Tuesday, we awoke at a shockingly unwelcome 5am, I was extremely bleary eyed and unco-ordinated, but managed to hobble into the safari truck for a positively delightful 6 hour journey to Tsavo National Park. Upon our arrival, we went straight into a game drive, with ostriches running past us at an amazing speed, and a huge amount of elephants who were crossing the road, loitering in bushes, al coated in orange dust and mud. We akll stood up, as they take the roof off the truck, and it was great admiring the view with the wind blowing at us in every direction. And I was impressed to see plenty of Thompson's Gazelles (good name!) along with lots of Zebras, vultures perched on treetops. Felt very at one with nature, in the manner of Catherine Earnshaw from Wuthering Heights, hahaha. The lodge we stayed in was so luxurious...well, compared to Camp Kenya...firstly - A place to sleep that has walls, such a novelty! Then showers you can adjust the temperatures of!!!! :D A bed that moulds to the shape of your back!! The food was incredible, things like stew, spag bol, steak, roast beef and graaaavy, pineapple crumble with CUSTARD! yum yum yum. After a late lunch, we went back for another game drive where we watched the most dramatic sunset, they sky was a pretty mess of clouds, looked like the sky was on fire.
On Wednesday, we awoke at I despise going to sleep and waking up when it's dark!! Still, had to be done as we wouldn't have seen all the lions we did!!! The group that went before us didnt see a single lion, whereas we saw 12!! We walked along this rockface which was the highest pioint in the Park, and had this all encompassing view, but an equally scary precipice! We also stayed for a little while at Lugards Falls, this extremely unusual waterfall, which didnt fit with the image i'd conjoured in my mind. It was horizontal, and the water was a Titian Red colour from all the was so precarious, and we had to be so careful not to slip on the dust as we'd fall in and become entangled in the depths of one of the caves that deceptively lurks beneath the surface (Bruno, the guide, told us of one particular case where an entire family fell in and were swallowed by the waters grasp. A bit scary)
Naquita and I climbed down into a little enclave of rock, which was realy close to the was splashing up at us!!! Got a really good picture, but then promply climbed back up!!! We then moved on to the crocodile point where we saw hippos and crocs swimming around and making the most peculiar sounds, like a giant tummy rumbling!!on thursday we set out at about 5am (argh 3rd day in a row!!) but it was so worth it. An hour into the game drive, we spotted 2 lions, a male and female, lazing in the grass just on the side of the road!! I'd been sitting on the roof of the truck, with the wind blowing madly, admiring the spectacular views, but the driver was concerned that tyhe lion would get angry and jump up!! The male did in fact get angry, but by this stage i was back in the truck, but still with a close started growling really loudly and its body language was of an agressive nature....then it shot at one of our trucks and roared!! I thought we were going to get eaten alive!! My heart was pounding in my chest...but that experience most definitely woke me up. It was incredible!! We saw a leopard in a tree after that, and plenty of trees with scratch marks all over them, where leopards had probably climbed before. Elephants were the most prevalent thing in the park (could just be that it's harder for them to hide!?) ...a lot of them would walk in their families, with the little ones in the middle....they do have a very protective instinct. One family of elephants were scared by our truck and huddled around their babies to protect them.
We then departed at out midday and headed off for our 6 hour drive back to camp!! Only, this time, the driver decided to take a detour, as the road through Mombasa was closed, which involved us going on the bumpiest roads i've ever been on...trying to have a nap whilst being thrown around the truck isn't fun. I was glad of a seatbelt at that stage.
On Friday I resumed my project work at Muhaka Primary school...i started off painting wooden beams, but felt that this was slightly futile, and as my time is limited, I asked the Deputy Headteacher if it was possible to teach at all that day. He went away to sort something out for me and returned with a textbook and 5 minutes to prepare a 2 hour lesson on english grammar for standard eight (the highest group)....But it went brilliantly, French lessons have definitely given me a firm grasp on grammar, which was what i needed then. I taught them the Continuous Past tense, how to form it from the infinitive, and then all about verb+present participle, and i then went through punctuation with them. I overran slightly into lunchtime, but the children all came to the front and asked me to come back after lunch to teach them, because I'd made them laugh and taught them loads too. So, I headed off into a little woodland clearing to eat my lunch with my campmates, had a little nap, and then went back to the classroom to teach again. I went off on a bit of a tangent....the book they were teaching from is so uninspiring, so I went through the Future and Conditional tense with them, which prompted a discussion amongst us all, and several games. The students, some of which were the same age as me, were so inquisitive and really motivated, and wanted me to tell them all about life in England - they found it fascinated!! Some of them didn't know what snow is!! I was glad that I'd been able top hold their attention, as I found it hard with the younger group to keep them interested in the topic. Had to leave at 3pm, but the teachers who'd been listening outside, thanked me and asked me to come back again on Monday.
All in all, a great week...but time is going way too fast!! I have 2 weeks left of project work, which is going to be tough, but I already feel like the small amount of teaching has made a difference.
Spent a long time on the beach yesterday...lathered on the suncream...and didn't burn!!! A MIRACLE!!! So happy!! I'm actually getting a bit of colour!! wooo!! Celebrated St Patrick's Day last night, went to Shakatak with the free dinner!!
Well, the beach awaits...

24th march
awoke to the sound of birds singing joyously in the tree above me, and the pitter patter of rain against the leaves.
"sunday morning rain is falling"...yes it has started to rain (only a little bit, and usually in the morning) did subside, thankfully, and the sun broke through into a cloudless sky.
spent sunday on the beach (so predictable!!) with the jazz band playing, and a pimms in one hand!! Pure relaxation!!
A lot of the camp left in the afternoon as they have stayed at the beach for the whole week...and camp has been extremely quiet, only about 10 of us!! Have spent the entire week doing project work at Muhaka Primary School, which has involved painting, making cement the hard way, carpentry the old fashioned way ('Do you not have any power tools ??')'s been tough, I'm aching but, I feel i've had a chance to accomplish something!! Have also spent a lot of time in the village after project work - On Monday my buddy, Justin, took me to the mangroves (swampy forest plantations) in Makongeni, where I watched the sun setting, illuminating the clouds and pouring light through the trees. Justin took me to his house (a mud hut) where I met his grandmother and baby cousin. This is the real Africa, secluded, beautiful, dramatic and raw - no transport, people are stranded, confined to the objects that surround them, suspended in their microcosms, in time, in life. The whole world around them is created from the materials nature provides. I feel so privileged to be privy to such wonderful sights, even in the village alone! My little spot of serenity!
My thoughts were interrupted my a raving man, reminiscent of a caveman, who zoomed past me, yelling 'coconut fiiiish!' ...much to my amusement. On tuesday, I really felt myself struggling with the project work...I was trying to saw a piece of wood, but to no avail (i was ready to give up)...but I persevered and although Tuesday was a lowpoint, I've felt myself getting a lot better these past few days. That evening I went for a swahili lesson in Makongeni school, where we were taught basic greetings and vocabulary. It's such an unusual language...I am intrigued by it! Went for a walk through the woods afterwards, as the sun played on the leaves of the foliage above me...I'm so mesmerised by the sunsets here!! The sky was a dusty pink with wisps of purple clouds!!
Wednesday was a fab day.....woke up at 6am to go snorkling!!! Hopped onto the speedboat and was conveyed to this incredible sandbank - such views!! Water was so clear!!Had to put on some very attractive flippers and goggles and snorkle start of with the salt water kept leaking in going in my eyes and nose....but then I got accustomed to breathing through my mouth, and swam all along the coral reef, with teeny fishes swimming all around me! I saw a STARFISH, all patterned as if someone had painted it with red paint is swirls! I then swam towards some handcrafted boats, like carved gondolas, where I came across millions of big fish, swarms of them in every colour, coming at me, swirling around my head. I circled the boat, swimming through masses of fish...then a man called to me to come and look at a snake in the water (green with yellow spots) but i was alreadydarting through the water, petrified!! Lazed on the sandbank for a while, then was taken back to shore by the speedboat and ran through the warm sea water. Then I found a pring on the beach, just trickling up through the sand - ice cold!! Was so refreshing! In the afternoon, we were taken to an extremely seclded, hidden village, Kinondo, to see a bush doctor! We stepped of the truck and were greeted by so many children, dancing and shaking our hands. We then perched ourselves on a makeshift wooden bench. I was so enthralled by the bushdoctor's house - completely embellished with decorations, flowers and patters!! Singing and sounds of african drums were emanating from inside the house, very mystic. Sampuli, our guide brought out several things to show us, firstly the medicine bottles used by the bush doctor, not glass or plastic, but a hollowed out piced of fruit, dried by the sun and labelled using coloured beads...instead of labels. Their beliefs were centred around the notion of bad spirits and bad magic, and this was the root of all evil...causing madness and other ailments. The 'digo' tribe have a bloodline of bushdoctors- so the position was inherant, and not just anyone can fulfill the role. The house is in fact embellished to indicate the presence of a bushdoctor. Several women, accompanied by young men donning black and red robes (traditional colours of the tribe) emerged from the house, shaking their drums and singing in swahili. They were all dancing, shaking their limbs and shimmying their shoulders - this is their tradtional dance. A lady, feigning insanity, began running around, then stopped in front of our table, ripped leaves from the tree beside her, shredded them, and stuffed them down my top (hahaha) More and more dancing whilst the bushdoctor was running around trying to find the little bit of bad magic which had caused the 'madness' in the leaf lady. Kathy and I went up to boogie with them - only I can't really shimmy my shoulders, they laughed at me, so I started crazy dancing, which they seemed to appreciate.
Thursday and friday were solid project work, making desks for the children, which is really worthwhile. Spent the past few days worried sick about my best of east africa trip, and my flights...but thankfully, my parents have saved the day and managed to find a solution to what I had perceived as an absolute disaster. Dramatic, I know! My tentmates returned last night from their week in Lamu, ancient arabic slave island, so we had a wonderful evening filled with catching up on their travels and our news. Random moment of the day - a goat running around camp, with Georgie chasing after it yelling 'Help me guys!!' ....the guards wanted to kill it and put it on the bbq we're having on sunday (farewell bbq :( ) absolutely hilarous at the time!
I am just so glad of a rest now...I am off to the beach, and i'm going to order a cheesy pizza (we don't get cheese at camp!)

28th march
the weekend past, was the last one i'd be spending in makongeni with my thirty-odd we ensured wit was jampacked with amazing activities! on saturday morning i went shopping for gifts and souvenirs with a few friends, and then headed straight for the beach on a tut tut (like a quad bike taxi!) and chilled in boho Forty Thieves munching on gorgonzola and bacon bruscetta, admiring the beach, and spent some time attempting to catch some rays. On saturday evening we all piled on the gladrags, had our usual pre-curser singing on the way there (why do you build me up...buttercup baby tralalal)...and once we arrived the crazy dancing commenced. so so so much fun, it really captured the essence of our time here. We stayed out for far too long, and for the first time of my life, I fell asleep on a night did everyone else!! Although, there was intermittant dancing between my dozes (which only happened at the end of the night). Not only was that night our last saturday night out...but I was celebrating the fact that I've accepted Exeter University's offer, and put it as my firm choice. YAY.
The following morning, Sunday, I awoke early to embark on my second snorkling trip!! Was taken to the sandbank on the was such a beautiful day, the water was turquoise!! Charlotte and I snorkled together in deeper water, singing songs underwater from the little mermaid, whilst we admired the fish swimming around us! We did however have a traumatic experience...we saw what looked like a piexce of rope coiled on the ocean floor, my friend was trying to convince me that it was a snake, and whilst I laughed at such an incomprehensible notion, the 'rope' began to unfurl and rise in the water...looking increasinly which point, I did my usual darting through the water, and screaming! We swam all the way upto the sandbank, had to fight with my brain to believe my eyes!! The journey back was so lovely on the boat, we dangled our legs off the side of the boat, trailing our feet in the water, whilst the ocean spray flew up at us.
That afternoon, after a brief spell at forty thieves, we had our farewell party in the grounds of the camp kenya office..a converted mosque, where we feasted on a buffet and drank tusker beer, listening to motown and enjoying the sunsetting (a favourite pastime of mine in Kenya)...we then had speeches from some of our campmates, which summed up our time together, made everyone rather emotional at the thought of sayig goodbye to so many happy times. I read a poem I wrote about my time in Mwaluganje, elephant sanctuary, and we listened to a speech by Simon, the guy who set up the camp kenya trust, who explained his visions and goals with the having children of his own gave him a sense of obligation to help these many of them die of malaria due to the simple reason of not being able to afford 200shillings (1.50gbp) for a mosquito net. That evening, it really dawned on me that my time at makongeni was almost up...and i reflected on my time here...and I think that teaching, of all the things I've done, has instilled me with a real sense of accomplishment. The time I've spent with the children at Muhaka and the villagers in Makongeni has made me question the things I value in life...they have such high morale, no matter what, they're the happiest people I've ever met...and it really is contagious! Eustas, on my first day in Kenya, told me that the villagers don't judge people...and this has been proved to me....I've danced crazily in the middle of the village and sung songs, and the villagers just laugh with you.
On monday I was at makongeni for project work, where we built a gate for the school to make it more secure. These past few days, I've felt so exhausted after a days work, I went to bed at 8p-m two nights in a row, through sheer fatigue. Monday night was rather amusing, firstly, I was sat at the mess area writing in my diary, when something landed on my neck....that's right, at lizard defecated on my neck!! Scrumptious!! After that, had a bit of a wash (mm) and then went to bed, only at 2am I awoke to the sounds of Ashleigh N and Tori speculating about what creature was in our tent...a rat?? So petrified we were listening intently, and then Ashleigh C woke up, and suggested it may be a cat! hahahah! I was then convinced there was a rat in my bed and started screaming my head off, to the amusement of my friends. We decided to evacuate the tent, and had to put our raincoats on due to the pouring rain outside, it was pitch black, we walked to the light of the moon and the stars overhead, and went for a toilet trip, al four of felt like something from harry a guard approched us in a full length rain mac (like a robe) with a lantern!! Was a very odd, yet hilarious moment.
The following morning, Tori was showering with a snake, and we all watched it being dragged out and killed by a guard! Was wriggled towards us...even the boys were petrified!!so yesterday i went to muhaka, and we continued making desks for the pupils.
We interviewed Mr Mlai the headmaster of Muhaka that day and it really put the whole situation into perspective for me...yet made me feel incredibly naive at the same time. When you hear about Africa in the news or a magazine, you feel a sense of detactchment, with the doubt in your mind that perhaps these stories are a mere hyperbolic fabrication of a journalist...but speaking with the headmaster, I was faced with the brutal reality that these things do actually happen, are happening, that tragedy is a prevalent aspect of everyday life in Africa. I was enlightened, you could say...informed that one of my favourite students in standard eight, who i'd become close to, the brightest boy in the class had been suffering silently whilst i'd been teaching him....2 weeks ago his father died, meaning that he was alone in the world, an orphan with no income. After standard eight in Kenya, the brighter students are expected to go on to secondary school for 4 years, yet this is not's expensive (only the affluent, those with a steady income or those who are sponsored make it through) So for this 13 year old boy, all dreams of further education evaporated before his eyes, along with the incredible strain of losing a parent, and your sole provider. What I found hard to come to term with was the fact that for the past 3 weeks, I've seen a consistent level of motivation and happiness in this boy, as if nothing had happened, but perhaps it was a reaction to my complete obliviousness to the situation?!? We were told of another girl who'd been abused and is 5 months pregnant and still attending school. she's 13 years old. I was upset and not being informed of the situation at the start of my stay, that there's a big problem with drugs at the school....the place that i'd perceived as a warm and safe environment, where on the surface the children are happy and smiling, there's a facade, but if you penetrate the surface, there's this undercurrent of tragedy.

That was the hardest moment of the trip.
Moving on, we had our final evening out last night, which, after a hard day, was really good fun. We all dressed up as something beggining with the first letter of our name....some people went as Robin Hood, Alladin, Jasmine, a robber, Lara Croft, cowboys, soldiers, jocks, hippies. Everyone looked awesome!! I dressed up as a rainbow...wearing a mishmash of crazy colours, and painted a rainbow on my cheek!! We went to this beautiful restaurant called Nomads, tres sophis daahling, which is a refreshing change, i was so thrilled to see napkins and silverware and tablecloths!!! eeeee!! Had the best bruscetta ever....perfectly loaded with garlic and tomatoes (how i've missed them!!) , followed by the freshes fish in batter, and passionfruit, cream and strawberry icecream ensued!! What I've neglected to inform you is that this restaurant overlooked the beach, and with the lanterns and candles everywhere at the most incredible atmosphere....i loved it!! Sat around a table with my friends laughing our heads off!!
We went to a hotel resort afterwards where there's a nice bar, but we didnt stay long there....we all jumped in the pool!!! Was a bit chilly on the way back to camp!! Am presently spending the last day on the beach, why can't we pack it up into a crate and take it home. The song playing the background is Queen's 'Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time'...we've sung this so many times this trip!!

I'm not sure when I'll next be able to blog...I'm flying to Nairobi on Saturday and heading off into the horizon on a ten day overland tour of all the national parks in kenya and northern tanzania!! I shall do my very best to keep you informed!! Not long now!!

31st march
the past few days have been odd...we've been saying goodbyes to people in stages...on thursday most people departed, and we all wne to mombasa to the airport with them. i found it hard, we've all been living together, 24 hours a day for the past month, so i've got really close to some people...and to watch them walking through the gate made me sad. spent friday packing and saying my last goodbyes around the village and walking through the mangroves for the last time. I got a henna tattoo on my leg!! wahay. At around 5 o clock on friday, I said my goodbyes at camp, and ten of us went to stay at a treehouse for the a wooden hut on stilts in the treetops! we had to be wary of bush babies (like monkeys), but the beds were soo smooshy and the general experience of sleeping in a treehouse in!! We went to forties for dinner, had a candlelit meal on the beach and then hung out in the lobby hut (a giant treehouse!!)
then after the best nights sleep in a long time, with the light shining through the wicker, I wandered down to the beach, where my taxi was waiting to pick me up to take me to the airport. After much waiting around, I caught my flight, saw mount kili through the a taxi and arrived at my hotel. I've managed to flood my bathroom...but the abundance of towels worked to my advantage. I thought about having a bath, but then the water turned out to be yellow. Nice.
I feel exhausted, but excited about the overland tour. I've already profited so much from this experience, I feel prepared for anything now.



Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: easyjobrob