Day 9 - Saturday I think

Paihia Travel Blog

Whangarei Falls

It was a little chilly at night so I was glad to have the electricity hookup and turned on the heater. I watched the sun rise from my campsite over the Whangerei Heads. It is a beautiful spot. Then I hit the road again. Sometimes I worry that I won’t be able to get myself out of whatever it is that the GPS is getting me into! Ended up taking some winding, hilly, gravel roads through the back woods of Northland.  The usual ��" wonderful vistas of grazing sheep and cattle, ocean, surf and sun. Drove the Tutukaka coast, lots of beaches and everything pretty much deserted. Stopped early afternoon in the town of Paihia. Got another campsite on the oceans edge on a nice tranquil bay. Had mussels again tonight, in a nice Thai chili sauce. Yum. Not sure if I want to do some boat tours here in the Bay of Islands tomorrow or head up to Cape Reinga. I’ve come to the conclusion that while some people find it relaxing to lay on a beach all day, I like to drive. Not in traffic but like today, on nice empty beautiful roads. Until I get sleepy. On a beach you can take a nap, not so much while driving!

The birding is getting slow. I only got one new bird today. The thing about New Zealand is that it is not really a “birdy” destination. Yes, it has birds I’ve never seen before and birds that are found no where else in the world. But…they really have very few species. A whole lot of the birds I see flying around are house sparrows. Then they have a lot of introduced species that have thrived, like the myna and the starling. So I see a lot of the same ten or so species but have to really search for a new one. But what NZ lacks in bird abundance it makes up in scenery!

Paihia