Day 8 - Friday

Tawharanui Travel Blog

Tawharanui

Morning finds me sitting outside beside my camper watching dawn break and listening to the birds. I piled on the rest of my clothes since it’s a bit cold and all my warmest clothes are wet from last night. My companions are the Pukeko, also known as the Purple Swamphen, the happy, friendly little fantails and one really persistent house sparrow that sits at my feet, flies around my head and wanders through the camper waiting for a handout. Now she’s on the armrest of the chair I’m sitting in! The Swamphens are really beautiful colors. They are the size of chickens and are just everywhere. A little more organizing in the camper and I’m off.

I head north. Driving the camper is like driving a tank! The thing is diesel so it’s loud and has no acceleration.

Endangered Pateke or Brown Teal
In an unusual change of circumstances, I am now the slowest thing on the road. It is rather embarrassing! I’m doing pretty good at driving in the right (ie correct) lane, staying between the lines and turning into the proper side of the road. I am happy that I got the GPS. Driving alone, it is SO useful. Even if it is wrong every once in a while or takes me places that I didn’t really mean to go, it is still incredibly worthwhile to have. Although I do keep a hard copy amp handy too! I also have a radio that is called the Kruse radio. It’s named after the guy who developed it. It is really cool. The thing reads your location and broadcasts information related to the things that are coming up, the origins of the towns you are going through, Maori legends, some info on the routes you could take and even a little info on some of the birds! I would recommend it to anyone going to NZ.
My camp on the ocean looking at Whangarei Heads
When they have nothing to say they play some easy listening stuff.

I spent a little more time in the park and then headed north again. The beaches are beautiful. Most of the area is farming ��" cattle, sheep and wineries. I stopped for lunch at a little tavern for some “roast lamb and veges” ��" good stuff. Found some more birds and decided to stop at a campground at about 3 pm. The campsite is perfect! I’m on the edge of an estuary looking out to sea, past mountains and surf and sand. The only thing that mars the landscape is my ugly little campervan ��" it is so hard to remain inconspicuous! Unbelievably gaudy! I’ve got electricity and in the morning I’m going to try the shower. It even has hot water, I’m just not sure how much.

Endangered Pateke or Brown Teal
My camp on the ocean looking at Wh…
My camp on the ocean looking at W…
Driving north - Langs Beach