Yanaka area

Tokyo Travel Blog

Even on a rainy day, I really enjoyed visiting this area. The mood was incredible alone in Yanaka cemetery, temples, and narrow streets. Everything was so quiet, so peaceful... I felt like if I was in a small village, lost in the middle of nowhere. But no, actually, it was Tokyo.

This feeling of being anywhere but in Tokyo was quite the same when I got to Ameyoko market, below the rails south of Ueno station. It was like being in a souk or a bazar of an old city in an emerging country: people shouting all around, to sell you smelly fish, shoes, fruits, clothes, tea, ... It was funny to realize that just one street further was a district full of modern malls... But still, I prefered the old noisy smelly market !

This was my first day visiting this capital city. It was extremely different from all the clich├ęs I had about Tokyo, but I think it was also interesting to visit them, as it's also a part of the city. And anyway, it's more this kind of atmosphere that I enjoy, rather than the "urban jungle", full of skyscrapers and modernity. But for a next visit, I'll sure go and see that ! I still have time !
LostInSpace2010 says:
wow! truly great pictures, couldn't take my eyes off them! Awesome job, thank you for sharing =)
Posted on: Aug 01, 2010