AsiaJapanTokyo

Sleepless in Tokyo

Tokyo Travel Blog

Tokyo: Shibuya nightout

I always find myself sleep deprived when I'm in Tokyo that by the time I get on the plane back to NYC, I am just out like a light, catching the much needed rest and sleep on the plane making the 13-hour nonstop return flight a breeze...

I returned to J-Hoppers Central Osaka just as the sun was rising. The area was quiet this early Saturday morning. Remember the code to enter the hostel, I quietly tiptoed to the 2nd floor where my dorm room/bed is located. As a habit of mine, I make sure my bags are packed the night before I leave to go out for the night. As to avoid disturbing my dorm mates, I gathered my stuff out of the room so I can get ready. I showered, brushed my teeth, and re-packed all my things at a slow pace.

Tokyo: Shibuya nightout
Taking my time since everyone else was sleeping.

By the time I was finished, the staff still hasn't arrived for me to check out and the shinkansen train I schedule to take back to Tokyo was not for another 2 hours. Hmmm... I hang out at the lobby/kitchen area. Went out around the corner to the 7-Eleven store for breakfast, prepared myself a cup of macha tea until it was time to check out and off I go~!

I slept on the train ride to Tokyo. Communicated with my friends Niji, Mami and Hanano on what time I will arrive in Tokyo, get checked in, and the logistics of where we were to meet and at what time.

We met up in Shinagawa Station and met up with Niji's friends, who were from U.S. teaching English in Japan, in Shibuya.

Tokyo: Shibuya nightout
Dinner reservations was not until 9pm at a small Okinawan restaurant in Shibuya, so we ended up walking around the area.

The Okinawan restaurant was located on the 3rd floor. It was small. No more than 20 guests at a time. All are seated at a tatami mat creating a nice, cozy dining area.

There were a group of about 8-10 older ladies on the other side of the small restaurant. It seems they are having some kind of reunion or get-together which was nice to see.

We ordered the recommended Okinawan dishes. Yummy~! I didn't order the bittermelon one though since I never liked it ever since I was young...

Hanano was tired so she went home, as the rest split up after dinner as they catch the last train home.

Meanwhile Niji, Mami and I met up with Niji's new friend, Yas.

Tokyo: Shibuya nightout
He invited us to a hiphop performance of his friends in Shibuya. In an underground bar, I got to see how the Japanese incorporated the Western nightlife and music into their culture - it's very much American! I was not fond of the smoking though... I could hardly breathe!

The guys were really friendly though. A round of shots and dancing to the music that Yas' friends were spinning in the DJ booth, we called it a night by 3am. But.... not quite yet.

It was the mandatory early-morning-sober-up ramen. We found a place that advertised to be the BEST ramen, visited by celebrities. And the name of the ramen were so funny that we thought we'd try the place anyway....

Exhausted after a long night, and the trains up and running again, Mami, Niji, and I went our separate ways, and planned to meet up after lunch to have more ramen! This time at Ippudo!!!

Tokyo