Need A Good Laugh?

Sabanilla Travel Blog

My homestay brother with the kitten

I initially planned to write once a week, but I have been encouraged to add journal entries more frequently. This entry is inspired by a quote from my best friend's mother. She wrote to me, "With so much rich exposure, education, and energy, you can move mountains. Keep your sensitivity and humor near the surface." I first read these kind words during a stressful morning at work. During lunch, I read them once more, this time in a peaceful setting, and I realized the one thing that has been missing from my blog entries thus far: humor!

It is a well-known fact that awkward moments and international traveling go hand-in-hand.

Kitten
For me, they always come in the form of miscommunication. A great example of this is the first taxi ride I took here by myself. I eagerly approached the first cab in the cue and tried to casually say what I had planned out in my mind minutes beforehand. Of course he had no idea what I was saying so he simply asked "Where are you going?" For some reason, I stupidly thought he had understood every word I had said clearly and was politely asking me questions about my life. I answered "The United States." He nodded as I got in and off we went. After about 20 minutes of driving, I began to wonder where I was. After about 25 minutes of driving, I was fairly certain I was being kidnapped. After about 28 minutes of driving, I had the bright idea to ask where he was driving. He answered, "The airport. You are going to the United States..." like I had forgotten. I had been trying to tell him I was FROM the United States, not presently going there.
Big Cat
I did not even have any luggage with me! I was very embarrassed, but I quickly explained myself. After lots of laughter and a sunk cost of 10,000 colones, I finally arrived back at my home stay.

Surprisingly the majority of my awkward moments thus far have been with animals. For those of you who do not know, I am absolutely petrified of mice. My home stay has two cats so I figured I did not have much to worry about. I was wrong. On Saturday morning, I walked into my closet to grab my running shoes to find that there was a mouse inside of one. I screamed, surprisingly in Spanish, "UN RATON" and ran down the hall. My home stay mom immediately brought the cats in to solve the problem. One cat curled up and went to sleep while the other, merely a kitten, decided to claw through my belongings. I was standing on my bed (to avoid contact with the killer mouse, of course) when I saw the kitten running out of my door and into the Grandfather's room across the hall... with a pair of my underwear clenched in her teeth. Needless to say, I was mortified. In the end, my home stay mother captured the mouse and brought it outside. I not only learned never to rely on cats, but also to be able to laugh at myself in the most unexpected of situations.

As embarrassing as these experiences seem, the trip just would not be the same without them. It is these funny moments that have given me the opportunity to bond with people at work and in my home stay. After all, laughter supersedes any and all language barriers.

Sabanilla