Heads or Tails?

San Pedro Travel Blog

Zapote

“When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me”

In my opinion, these lyrics from Toy Story’s famous song, “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” apply perfectly to my trip in Costa Rica thus far. I am living far away from home and I often feel lonely because my friends and my family are not here with me. These lyrics aptly remind me that my entire support network is just an email, a call, or a facebook chat message away.

“Cuando el camino parece áspero adelante

Y usted es millas y millas

De su cama tibia agradable

Usted acaba de recordar lo que su amigo viejo dijo

Chico, tiene un amigo en mí”

These lyrics, although they are the exact lines from above translated into Spanish, hold an entirely different meaning for me.

Anona
Two nights ago I went to see Toy Story 3 at the mall in San Pedro with a new friend that I met here. I stupidly assumed that the movies would be in English with Spanish sub-titles or vice-versa; however, once in the theater, I was surprised to find that the entire movie was in Spanish without sub-titles. For me, the realization was absolutely hilarious. Who would think I would be spending my Sunday night watching familiar characters like Woody and Buzz Lightyear say their famous phrases (eg. to infinity and beyond!) in a foreign language? I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I understood (and enjoyed!) the movie.

I cannot believe the extent to which my grasp of the Spanish language has improved while I have been living here. Not only have I started to develop an accent, but I have also started to pick up colloquial phrases and slang words that help me to ease smoothly into conversations between locals and natural-speakers. Aside from these improvements, my vocabulary has been improving as well.

Costa Rica boasts a plethora of fantastic fruits (pictures included) that I have never heard of before.

Escudo
My homestay family has been visiting many farmers markets in order to ensure that I can try each and every one. Thus far I have tried the following: Granadilla, Yupon, Anona, Zapote, Jocote, Cas, Carambola, Datil Martino, and Guayaba, but I have many more to go. As a way to ensure that I am really learning about Costa Rican culture, the eleven year old in my homestay has decided that he will be giving me an exam before I leave the country. The exam will cover all of the Spanish names for each fruit that I have tried here along with questions about districts I visited and unusual animals I saw. This proves that I cannot escape schoolwork��"no matter where I go I am studying!

A new phrase that I learned here is “Escudo o Corona?” which means “Heads or Tails?” This phrase is the name of a Spanish play that I am going to see in the theater on Sunday. To be honest, before my trip to Costa Rica, I would never have chosen to watch a play in Spanish. I have always been interested in cultural immersion and possessed an unsatiable love for the theater, but I have not always considered myself that comfortable with the Spanish language.

Granadilla
Thanks to my homestay family, my new friends here, and of course, Toy Story Three, I am now eagerly awaiting the play.

As I become more and more comfortable with the Spanish language and the culture here in Costa Rica, I am beginning to wonder to myself when I will return home. How about I flip a coin? Escudo- go home, Corona- stay here. Brief disclaimer for my parents and grandparents: I am joking and I fully intend to return!!!

missandrea81 says:
Congrats on today's feature!
Posted on: Jul 10, 2010