Florence Travel Blog

Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo)

Early morning on this day we went back to the Sistine Chapel and Castel Sant'Angelo - the places that was featured in the movie "Angels and Demons". Unfortunately, we didn't made it since there were a lot of people queuing up to the Chapel and we only have 2 1/2 hours left to catch the next train to Florence. We strictly follow our trip itinerary to make sure that all the places we wanted to go were visited. So, instead of waiting for an hour or so just to get in to the Chapel, we have decided to walk around the place and buy some souvenirs for our family and friends in the Philippines and Abu Dhabi. =)

From Rome to Florence:

Termini Station or Stazionne Termini (Italian) is the station where we took the train from Rome to Florence.

And, of course, it was not easy (again) to get a ticket from the machine since it is in Italian language. I somehow managed to learn how to select the place where we wanted to go (Firenze Station), number of passengers, or even select the preferred seats. However, I was confused when I was about to pay the fare! It was asking me something which I cannot understand, I was in panic. We were in panic! The train will be leaving very soon and yet we're not done getting the ticket until the Italian guy next to me explained what was written on the screen. The funny thing is? the machine was just asking if I am holding a membership like card which is, of course, I obviously do not have. So, he said just press the first selection and the machine will proceed to the payment.

"Ticket Printing in Progress.

....." (would be nice to write it in Italian since the machine language is always in Italian but I forgot the exact words )

It is an more or less hour and a half travel from Termini Station to Firenze Station. We never get a chance to sleep while on the way or I must say at least one of us since we are afraid that we will miss the station where we suppose to take off the train (The train we took was ROME-FLORENCE-MILAN) plus we were waiting for the conductor to inspect our tickets but he never did.

at Firenze Station - Florence:

Since we haven't figured out where is the exact place of our hotel, we decided to take a taxi from the train station to Hotel Fiorita. With this, we can save our time and energy just by walking and searching for the location (at least that is what we thought).

The driver placed our hand luggage at the trunk of his taxi then went back to his seat. He turned the meter on as soon as he started to drive. I showed him the Name of the Hotel and its address then he started smiling. I was wondering what is his smile for so I asked him if he know the place and he replied "Yes. I know that place so well" then he smiled to me again. With just a couple of left and a right turn, he suddenly stopped the car and said "HERE WE ARE". I realized that it was just a street away from the station. The hotel is just a hundred meters from the train station and now i know why he was smiling when I showed him the address. It is either he thinks "we are lazy and has lots of money" or "so naive of the location". We cannot blame him for not telling us, it is totally pointless anyway since he started the meter already before he saw the address and if we went down we still have to pay him the fare which, i assume to be not far away to what we pay him after.
on the way Up
So, I say, We charge this to experience. LOL =)

Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo)

After we arrived at our hotel, we arranged our luggage and took a little rest before taking off. I asked the hotel reception (also the owner) if they have a map so it would be easier for us to find our way to here and there. He was very helpful by showing us where can we go with our bare feet.

The streets of Florence is much easier to find than Rome (at least for me). We find ourselves in front of the "Duomo" after a few minutes of walking. I personally doesn't know anything about Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore also known as Duomo aside from being an old Cathedral church built in the year i even dont know. There are some areas of the Dome with on-going renovation, the way i see it, they are trying to restore the Dome close to its original structure.

The Last Judgement Painting
I find myself indifferent until we went in to see the interior. At first, i thought it is not worth paying 12 euros just to get in but I prove myself wrong. Inside the dome there is like a never ending spiral stairs to climb up to the top. It was very tiring indeed! Knowing my other friend really hates to walk a lot in Abu dhabi (probably the same in the Philippines), i expected her to ask me if she could just go down and wait for me till I go down and she did when we reached the first layer of the dome where you can see the painting "the Last Judgment" under the dome.

The Last Judgment painting was amazing. I took some photos of it while thinking how great the artist was for painting the whole circle ceiling of the Dome. I started to continue climbing the stairs and its getting steeper and steeper while i was going up (approximately around 75-80 degrees in angle) and people (especially the ladies) are starting to complain (their feet are swollen i guess).

I finally reached the top of the Dome and it was raining!

I was amazed when I reached the top of the Dome. you can see a full view of Florence city from there. The Place is indeed lovely. i don't mind being soked wet by the rain so I took some photos of myself and the place and some videos too.

When i went down, i started looking for my friend and I find her eating gelato. I bought one myself too! I am a huge fan of sweets when I was young but it was lessen when I was growing up, However, I must admit.... I LOVE THEIR GELATOs!!!!!

=)

Ciao,

Mark

Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore …
Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore…
View from the Top of the Dome
View from the Top of the Dome
Florence Hotels & Accommodations review
The hotel is just 2-3 minutes away from Firenze train station. very accessible area if you are planning to walk around the city. The hotel owner/recep… read entire review
Florence Hotels & Accommodations review