EuropeItalyRome

The Roman Empire

Rome Travel Blog

Rome, Italy

Rome has been and always will be very popular to all tourists. Some wanted to see the place where Roman Catholicism was born, attend a mass held by the Pope, astounding artifacts, or places seen on TV/Movie. Whatever the reason might be, Rome has a lot to offer in my belief.

The city is accessible by taking the local train, bus, taxi, or even by just walking around. Taking the right train to the station we wanted to go was never easy but fun - " reading the signs in the metro stations, getting a ticket at the kiosk or by machine and getting it validated all the time, and asking people for directions.

I have considered these as funny experience since the ticket machine doesn’t have an English translation so we try figure it out ourselves without us looking so naive in using it, finding the way to the correct train is a puzzle due to station’s signs are a bit confusing which leaves us no choice but to ask a local person where is where or which is which. Italians have been very helpful in teaching us the directions but the only problem is we cannot understand what they were saying  - " it was in Italian for God’s sake but at least we know how to translate their body languages. =)

Tip: If you really cannot understand what they were saying while asking for directions, better pretend you do get it to cut the story short =) Both your time is precious anyway =) and don’t forget thank the person for giving time to answer your question. =)

Memorable places I saw while in Rome:

The Colloseum - Ancient Rome's huge amphitheater, where the scene of many deadly gladiatorial and wild animal fights took place in the history.

There are still some people walking around wearing gladiatorial costumes, however, there are no more deadly fights but only deadly smiles of the people taking photos with them. =)

Fontana di Trevi (The Trevi Fountain) - " let me start by describing it as an “astounding and arguable breathtaking creation” of the Italians. Just taking a look at the water flowing out from the fountain made me fall in love again. Amazed as I can be, I have forgotten to take a photo of me with the fountain!!! Well, how bad can it be? that I do not possess any proof of my presence to the people and tell them “hey I’ve been there and it was amazing - " a true work of art!”. Moving on, as far as I have read not that I am a book worm or something and I think I only know a bit of knowledge to the place, the fountain was not only popular due to its magnificent architectural design but it is also known for its legend that whoever drinks or throws a coin in the fountain will assure his return to Rome.

Talking about coin throwing, I was with my two closest girl friends when I travelled to Rome, that means, it was the three of us who went to see the Trevi fountain, and, of course, each one of us threw a coin in the fountain which reminds me of the movie “Three coins in the Fountain”. The movie revolves around three American ladies working in Italy who wished to find the man of their dreams after throwing coins into the Trevi Fountain. Well, I was just wondering if the two of them wished exactly the same as the three girls since we are all single but I’m quite sure myself that mine wasn’t. Not that I am very eager to know what they wished for or something like that, was just curious coz sometimes we whine about being single and wishing to find someone special ;-)

Saint Peter’s Basilica (Vatican City)  - " being a member of the Roman Catholicism we made sure that we will visit the place and pay respect to the Holy city.

St. Peter's Basilica
The Basilica, indeed, has a large interior and amazing designs. As I go inside, I felt the peacefulness covering the whole sacred place. We dropped by in the chapel to pray and give thanks to the Lord since there is no mass at the time we were there. We wanted to attend the Papal Mass, unfortunately, we have learned that the Pope conducts the mass Wednesday and that is the same day we are going to leave Rome to proceed to our destination. =(

While in Rome, we have also seen The Palatine Hill, The Pantheon, Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II, and the Spanish steps. We haven’t got the chance to see the “Sistine Chapel” and the Museum because it was closed and when got back the next day, the queue was madness. We also missed to visit “Castel Sant'Angelo” but I am hoping of the Trevi fountain’s power assuring my return to this wonderful city~! ;-)

Pictures to be uploaded very soon.

Ciao!

Mark

mdeleus says:
Thanks Vipin, I have forgotten to add that one! I enjoyed their Gelati's too. :)
Posted on: May 18, 2010
Vipin says:
great blog - it takes me back to when i was there! i really miss their ice cream too!
Posted on: May 18, 2010
St. Peters Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
Colloseo
Colloseo
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
The view of Colloseo from the Pala…
The view of Colloseo from the Pal…
a friend took the photo while we w…
a friend took the photo while we …
an alley going to piazza de Trevi
an alley going to piazza de Trevi
magnificent Trevi fountain
magnificent Trevi fountain
Spanish Steps at night
Spanish Steps at night
Rome Hotels & Accommodations review
The hotel is accessible to Bologna train Station and bus station which is very helpful to go around the city. hotel staff is very presentable and help… read entire review