Austin, Texas (the capital)

Austin Travel Blog

This is my limited experience at the state capital...

After completing my Fish Camp experience for Texas A&M University, I decided to roadtrip a while through the great state of Texas. First, i headed west to Austin, since it's the home of the Texas A&M aggies' longtime rival, TU, or as the rest of the world knows them, the Longhorns.

First of in my list of things to do is get to the capitol building. One thing I'd advise anyone visiting Austin at this point is to pack an uptodate map or gps device becuase construction and the general layout of the streets suck to an illexperience driver. Anyways, I stayed at a parking garage within walking distance to the capital building and it's free for the first hour or so. From the garage, you'd be entering the rightside of the complex, and it was a view. Over looking a nice orchard of trees, you could see the upper most parts of the building. It was a sight to see. Inside, you'll find a spectacular view as you see that most of the intrior walls are clad in a red marble of sorts. Outside, you will witness a few commemorative statues, nice open space, a few cannons, and the general land office, which I toured on my own. You'll fnd a rich   exzibit detailing alot of things which I can't remember ow including the construction of the capitol building itself.

After a quick visit to the capitol, I once again took to the streets of Austin and after a bit of confusion, drove into the University of Texas and was unamazed to see Longhorns in their natural habitat? The university is pretty much squeezed into a generally small space, at least from the drive through the campus. There was also a lot of construction but nevertheless, I got to view the clock tower, a few of the more notable buildings that I had seen before in brochures for UT back when I was in highschool deciding on which university to go to, and then, I left.

Once I visited UT, I made a quick escape back on to IH-35 and headed south to the San Marcos outlet stores, but that's the end of this quick blog.