Austin Food and Wine Weekend

Austin Travel Blog

What a great weekend to enjoy some of the best wines from the western region of the USA. The 25th annual Texas Hill Country Food and Wine Festival. I was able to spend a little more time exploring the wines rather than serving them. I did get a chance to meet up with my friend Jules, who just return back to Australia after spending 5 years here in the States. Jules and I enjoyed hanging out and we got to eat a pretty good Japanese Restaurant  and we also did the Starbucks thing, everyone has to have a cup of coffee every now and then.

The entire Austin wine weekend was full of great seminars and pairing events. I attended and volunteered at the main event of the entire weekend called Stars over Texas. This 4 hour event features  an evening under the stars while you savor the signature dishes of some of Texas’ best known restaurants and taste the showcase wines of  wineries from California, South Africa, and of course a variety of Texas wineries. Stars Across Texas Grand Tasting is considered the premier wine and food event in Austin and was held at the Long Center for the performing arts, see review. I got to work with some old friends and some new ones. It seems whenever we all get together trouble may follow. We love to have fun entertaining the guest whom pay a whopping $100 to enjoy two levels of fantastic gourmet flavors and me, there friendly volunteer. This year didn’t disappoint. I had the pleasure of working with Matanzas Creek Winery, Louis Martini and a host of other great vintners.

One of the advantages of volunteering at such an event is that you get to enter the venue before the general public, which allows you time to meet, and great chefs and vintners. As I strolled around under the starts of Texas, well there was some rain and clouds, but we are all bigger than that, I sampled food from  various restaurants including 1886 Café and Bakery at the Driskill Hotel, Binn 555 Bleu River Café , Citrus at Hotel Valencia, Dallas Fish Market ,  Eddie V’s Edgewater Grille, Hudson’s on the Bend, Jaspers Restaurant,  Parkside, Siena Ristorante, Teo Italian Coffee and Gelato, Uchi, Whole Foods and a lot of other eateries.

The evening was great and I got to go home with a few special gifts from many of my old and new friends.

On Friday evening I got the chance to have dinner and sample a flight of wines at Trio restaurant in the Four Seasons Hotel. Jan promised that I would enjoy sampling any wines and any of their foods if I would just show up. I took the challenge and I am really glad I did. The sliders and the wedge potatoes were great. You can check out my review as well.

The rest of the weekend included the Sunday Fair at the Salt Lick. Although the rain poured down the evening before, everyone pulled together to lay out hay and saw dust to absorb all of that water. One guy even got creative and dug a little trench that resembled the Brazos River flowing deep in the heart of Texas, in this case, the fair. The event was packed and everyone seemed to have a great time. I again walked away with some pretty good souvenirs and some new friends.

The drive back wasn’t too eventful. Made it back safely and looking forward to my trip next month to California.

Glynnes says:
Nice weekend is see. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Jul 31, 2010
Not so "Austin"
AS many people know, I love Holiday Inn Express Hotels and their priority club rewards program. You may also know that Austin is by far my favorite ci… read entire review
A Great Stay
I stayed at this hotel for three nights to attend the Texas Hill Country Food and Wine Festival. I thought I would go a little further out of downtown… read entire review
Great "airport" hotel
This hotel seems like it has everything that a traveler would need for a few days or even a week. I stayed there for four days as I attended the Texas… read entire review
photo by: cabotono