A weekend in Girona

Girona Travel Blog

This weekend was my motherĀ“s birthday so we decided to surprise her and we organized a gateway to Girona. Our mission was to have a family weekend! ;) so we first booked a hotel in a tiny town, really small indeed. I would say there were no more than 25 houses there.

La Cellera de Ter, which is the name of this small town, is 30 minutes away from Girona, one of the main cities in Catalunya. As it was in the middle of nowhere, with mountains all around, we rented some bicycles to get to some falls. They told us the falls were one hour away, but we cicled for 2 1/2 hours and we did not reach the end, so we call them up to pick us up! damn! we were demolished! Imagine my mother, turning 60 years old and ciclying for 2 1/2 hours...

So after lunch we spent all afternoon resting in the hotel and then we had the best dinner! We ordered a "Protos" (wine from Ribera del Duero) and of course, a birthday cake!

Next day we woke up early in the morning and went to Benalup, a small medieval town. If you are around and you have the chance I would strongly recommend you to visit it! To enter the city you walk along a romanic bridge made of stone and from there you have the most amazing sights! At the time they were celebrating a local party, so we stayed until lunch time....

Good weekend overall (for family times, for couples, another blog... hahah)
anjok says:
Thanks for the post. We'll try to visit Benalup.
Posted on: Jul 02, 2007
Vagabondatheart says:
I love Girona and its amazing old guard walls surrounding the city. Thanks for the entry.
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007
crystalware says:
Wow, I am impressed your 60 year old mother cycled that far. Good for her!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007