Day 2 - Barcelona Wanderings

Barcelona Travel Blog

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona
Due to the fact that La Liga games aren't scheduled until about 9 days or so before they are set to take place, we had to ensure we were in Barcelona for the whole weekend. This gave us the chance to explore the city on the Sunday. I hadn't really done any research on what to see and do in Barcelona, all my energy went into organizing the football side of the trip, so we decided to just have a wander.

Actually, we did agree that the Sagrada Familia was a must see and so ventured out after breakfast in its direction. The walk was quite long but definitely worth it, as the building was pretty amazing, despite being covered in scaffolding and surrounded by cranes. The crowds were out force already, so we opted not to venture inside and instead, headed further into the heart of the city.
Barcelona

On our way to La Rambla, we took in a few sights including the Arc de Triomf, a structure very similar to the famous Parisian landmark. The wide avenue that ran behind the Arc de Triomf was quite entertaining as we stopped to watch a squad of old gentlemen playing P├ętanque. The game had attracted quite an audience but didn't really have the same competitive edge as the football the previous night.

The narrow streets in and around La Rambla were probably my favourite, as they had a bit more character than the wider main streets. They were a good place to get lost and reminded me of Italy. After stopping off for a late lunch, we did some more wandering, not really taking in any sights. We just enjoyed the city and people watching is always fun. The rain came on a little later, so we cut the afternoon short and headed back to the hotel. We had done quite a few miles today and were more than happy to have another siesta.

As it was Sunday, the surrounding area was very quiet and all the eateries seemed to be closed, but we persevered and found a little cafe. We ended our weekend away with an excellent Tortilla (Spanish omelette) and an accompanying beer. I enjoyed Barcelona, the football was fantastic, yet I wouldn't rush back to see the city. It's nice but I'm more fascinated by cities such as Krakow, Budapest and Tallinn. I'd go back and watch FC Barcelona though!
Vikram says:
I'm planning visiting Spain in Nov but only have the patience to visit 1 city, still tied btn Madrid and Barcelona (I hvaen't been to either).
Posted on: Apr 30, 2012